Delayed puberty.....

No squatting that I've seen, but I don't really watch them much.
You don't have to watch them. Just reach down and try to pet them on the back. If they are close they'll squat down. Apologies if you knew this already. I just did that with my 4 but only 2 squatted tonight and still only the 1 started laying, so I'm still waiting for the rest.
Always exciting getting that first egg from the pullets... Like a proud Mom/Dad moment.

You don't have to watch them. Just reach down and try to pet them on the back. If they are close they'll squat down. Apologies if you knew this already. I just did that with my 4 but only 2 squatted tonight and still only the 1 started laying, so I'm still waiting for the rest.
Always exciting getting that first egg from the pullets... Like a proud Mom/Dad moment.
They love to follow me around but I haven't spent enough time for them to let me touch them except at night on their perch. I'll try to get friendlier with them. Thanks for the info.

Thanks! I probably won't add light, at least not this year, but it is good to know how I should do it. Every bit of advice is appreciated.
If you do add light, I’ve had the best success using a “reptile” UVA + UVB combo. Mine is 4’ long, and I add a few extra hours of “daylight” in the morning, and a few more in the evening. It works very well, and we get eggs all year-
It also does not seem to shorten the “laying life” of our girls.
You just need to remember to correct the timer if you lose power 😉

Back
Top Bottom