Delayed puberty.....

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
So 4 of my pullets, 2 Production Blue, 1 Olive Egger and 1 Leghorn, WERE starting to get redder combs and face/neck about 2 weeks ago (they are close to 24 weeks). But then it turned cold and rainy. And now I think that their combs, face and little wattles are lightening up a little. Am I nuts, or is it possible that, with the weather change and shortened days, their development has slowed or even reversed a bit? And my other question is, will they be slower to start laying since they will be hitting the age to start producing eggs during winter?

Thanks in advance.

So 4 of my pullets, 2 Production Blue, 1 Olive Egger and 1 Leghorn, WERE starting to get redder combs and face/neck about 2 weeks ago (they are close to 24 weeks). But then it turned cold and rainy. And now I think that their combs, face and little wattles are lightening up a little. Am I nuts, or is it possible that, with the weather change and shortened days, their development has slowed or even reversed a bit? And my other question is, will they be slower to start laying since they will be hitting the age to start producing eggs during winter?

Thanks in advance.
I had pullets start laying in December, I'm in PA. There's still hope đź’—

I have 4 also that turn 24 on Monday. 1 laid her first yesterday. Friday the 13th.... and she's black.... đź‘»
IMG_20231013_140526.jpg

It's possible. Here it's relatively warm year round, so I often get pullets laying their first eggs during Christmas. You'll probably know soon. It's still early/mid fall, so my guess is on them laying, for a short while at least

Thanks in advance.
Are they squatting for you? That's a pretty good sign there getting close.

Yes, it’s possible they will wait or may lay soon.

Length of daylight does impact chickens, even blind chickens. There is a pineal gland in their head that senses light. As daylight decreases, it signals to their body to slow down, molt, stop laying. However, yours are right about laying age, and I’ve had them start laying at this timeframe, or even Nov, when I’ve had similar age chickens. Some breeds may wait until daylight begins to lengthen after the solstice in late Dec.

FWIW, I’ve lived in the Sea-Tac area, and in the Willamette Valley. In my experience, the WV get more overall light than Sea-Tac , or really most of western WA, in the winter months. Now I live in W Central Ohio, and a few years ago it was so overcast and dreary for very long stretches that winter it was very like living in Sea-Tac area. Despite having a light on a timer in the coop to boost day length (trick their pineal gland), they all stopped laying, even the young/new layers -it was that bad.

It may help to add light in the coop, but it needs to be on a timer so it is regulated amount of light, predictable. Aim for 14 hours/day. We have our timer turn on early morning, off around noon when daylight is more intense in winter, then they roost at natural dusk. Others feel strongly about not using supplemental light, so to each their own, and you can decide for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom