Are we close to eggs?

NewAtThis8

Songster
Apr 9, 2023
I’ve got 3 starlight green eggers (mutts, essentially- i think 2 are actually RIRs that were mislabeled or at least a majority mix of such) and they’re 16 weeks this week. I’ve noticed combs and wattles on 2 (the RIR suspects) getting bigger and redder, and a lot of in and out of the coop during the day. Today they were actually all 3 roosting in there and this morning really weird behavior of picking apart nesting pads- not sure if chickens “nest” like other birds or if they just saw something new and wanted to eat it 😂. Anyway, we weren’t really expecting eggs til August/September when they’re about 5-6 months but I’m starting to wonder if these behaviors mean we are closer than we think?

I’ve got 3 starlight green eggers (mutts, essentially- i think 2 are actually RIRs that were mislabeled or at least a majority mix of such) and they’re 16 weeks this week. I’ve noticed combs and wattles on 2 (the RIR suspects) getting bigger and redder, and a lot of in and out of the coop during the day. Today they were actually all 3 roosting in there and this morning really weird behavior of picking apart nesting pads- not sure if chickens “nest” like other birds or if they just saw something new and wanted to eat it 😂. Anyway, we weren’t really expecting eggs til August/September when they’re about 5-6 months but I’m starting to wonder if these behaviors mean we are closer than we think?
You’ll get some “pullet eggs” for a few weeks.. really small eggs, 2-3 times a week or ever other day maybe,.. but it won’t be long.. it may be a good idea to confine them midday in the coop/pen where they can access the nest boxes quickly.. I don’t know how you are set up, but if they are out and about and feel the urge they will make a hasty nest in a hidden spot and may use it for a good while before you notice.. my young birds get penned up about this time, very close to point of lay, (POL) is what it’s called.. they often don’t make the egg song until they are laying for a few months, until the eggs get bigger, so you can have rouge nests anywhere around the yard if you don’t see them sittin a spot or lay you’ll never know..

Back
Top Bottom