Delayed response to injury? Lame roo. Advice, please!

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
My 3 mo. old Andalusian roo is my sweetie. I will take him to the vet Monday a.m. if necessary. I need advice today, though.
Last weekend, Lou had a bloody area under his right wing - blood literally dripping down the leg. Last week, we had 5 roosters (all 3 mo.) and the fighting was getting bad; we are currently down to 3 (one is a Silkie). So, I figured Lou's injury was fight related, perhaps he flapped his wings at his foe and got pecked under the wing. The area was bloody, but cleaned up nicely. With all the feathers, I could not pinpoint the exact tear in his flesh, but I got the entire under-wing area clean and gooped on the neosporin. He was great for the next SIX DAYS. He was flapping, crowing, eating, drinking, chasing the ladies... He did not act like he had any pain when handled or when I inspected under his wing. This morning, he came out of the coop limping on his right foot. He acts like it hurts him to put weight on the foot. He has been eating & drinking, but mostly lays about, quietly. He has no visible injury.
I am worried & wonder:
??? Could he have an infection that would cause this???? Another illness?
??? If he was bitten my some type of animal would this explain his response???

BTW - he was vaccinated for Marek's

I am grateful for any help.

you need to separate him (movement restriction) and allow the wing and leg injury to heal as I believe the limp might be an injury in the coop or such (injury attempting to fly onto roost or come off it or such) caused by imbalance /inability to fly properly (wing injury)....might take a few weeks.

Last edited:
Thank you.
I am trying to convince myself that this foot issue & last week's bite are not related.
I will just keep him calm.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am refering to the injury under his wing. We don't know for sure if it was a peck from a flock-mate or what. We have NOT had any issues with other critters in our coop or covered run. I looked everywhere to see if he might have snagged his side on a nail or something - found no evidence. So we just don't know what happened last week.

well to illustrate , lameness also often follows a wing trim (imbalance while flying and then injuring their leg on the fall)... try separation and restricting movement ... chickens really do have weak legs .

just in case..

wouldn't hurt to check his foot for Bumblefoot..
look for a sore or scab on the bottom and between the toes.

check him all over for any swelling or heat.
recheck for any wound you might have missed.

describe his droppings..

maybe some plain aspirin would help discomfort..
1 (81mg)crushed in a quart of water..

He has been eating and drinking. His droppings are normal. Nothing seemingly wrong with the foot. However, he is STILL NOT using the right leg.
I did find something very curious. When I was holding him today, I noticed that the flesh under the skin was purple-ish, only on the problem leg. DH (a healthcare professional - but for people) said that it looked like bruising.
DD is just freaking - "get him to the vet." I am a super-consciensous animal owner, but gosh, I don't want a $80 bill for a banged leg.
More advice, please!
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom