Demanding chickens

Sanebychicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Colorful Colorado!
I think I have seriously spoiled my chickens. I have only 4, all different breeds and they whine more than any animal I have ever had (and I had a cat who lived to 22 who I am not kidding meowed at me at least 50 times a day - maybe he's come back in the form of 4 chickens?) I spend A LOT of time with them, feed them lots of different things, which they always think I have on me whenever I appear. They are free to roam around the back yard during the day - but as soon as I crack the door - they come running and begging immediately. I wanted them socialized to me - but it really is getting overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I love them - but I think I've created monsters. Is this normal spoiled chicken behavior? The are 5 months and I have had them since chicks (all pullets.) Waiting an that first egg~~~ Great, re-reading this - it sounds like I'm whining!!!! Ahhhh!

Haha! Yes, perfectly normal. And welcome to BYC. I always laugh that my chickens don't seem to notice that my hands are empty. Apparently they think that food comes from my finger tips. I completely relate to the overwhelmed feeling where you can't walk out your door without being attacked (or tripped) by a flock of chickens. I kind of put an end to it by not giving treats so much. Now they only attack me when their feeder is empty. I do miss the way they used to all come running when ever they heard the door open, but it's also nice to be able to go outside without it being a major event.
smile.png

Yes, like so many of us, you have feathered piggies. You didn't create them - they are naturally on the lookout for food. You just happen to be the source of such EASY pickin's.

I do NOT feed mine every time I step outside. They WANT me to... but I don't. (It's soooo hard not to!)

When I come home from work, they start appearing around the side of the house to greet my car as I come down the gravel driveway to my little concrete pad near the front door. And then they crowd around the driver's door so I'm sure I'll whack one or another of 'em with that door as I open it.

The oldest and largest consolidated group of them sleep in a coop with an automatic door, so I don't have to let them out in the morning. They're usually up and about when I come outside to open up the other three coops (only four birds in each of 'em, they were "grow-out" coops) and will come running because I do toss out BOSS for their morning treat.

In the afternoon/evening when I get home, I hand feed 'em all, either with more BOSS, or shredded mozzarella cheese, or dry rolled oats.

This afternoon - these are the top ranking girls.
41679_earlysept2010_019.jpg

"Why aren't you feeding us with BOTH hands??"
41679_earlysept2010_023.jpg

Whine away. I totally understand.

My chickens come running to me whenever I walk outside or when I pull up in the car. I give them treats most days, but not every day. Mine even know the difference between me and other people. I'm the only one who gets bombarded by chickens in the yard.

Mine come running to the corner of their run every time they hear a door open! All I have to do is step out and say housekeeping and they come running to beg and tell me everything that is going on! While I am turning their litter over in their tractor they feel the need to come inside and give me directions and to make sure that I throw some boss in there for them. If I let them out to freerange with having some sort of goodies in my hands, I get told off and get the stink eye! Gave them a turkey carcass yesterday and they were just thrilled! Love my girls!

Hehee...left my front door open this morning so my pup could come back inside after he'd pottied. I was doing something at the sink and turn around when I hear a noise, and there's my lead hen standing in the foyer...lol. She gives me a "bawwwwk" and looks at me like she'd waiting for a treat. I grab a piece of bread and lead her back out to the porch, where three others are waiting impatiently. I appreciate their adoration (to food, not me
tongue.png
) usually, except when I'm trying to make a break for the car...as they think nothing of milling around it when I'm trying to drive away
hmm.png

Oh, I do love it here! Confirmation that I have not lost my mind - either that or I have A LOT of company! I do love the chickens - they do feed the ego, even if it is through feeding them. But they are so much more entertaining than I ever expected. I just wish they could do it a little more quietly sometimes. Guess I should back off the "treats" a little and I reaaallllyyyy like the automated door idea. The mornings are getting more difficult with noise - they want out of the super-max run I've constructed (for their safety of course) and are getting more demanding about it. So far, I've asked the neighbors if they are bothering anybody and a welcomed - "absolutely not." But, I'm not sure I want to wake every morning to screaming (not crowing thank god) chickens!

Thank you all! You've made me feel very welcomed and I love hearing your stories and seeing little glimpses of others lives with animals (I want llamas too -actually alpaca, but either would require winning the lottery!)

Back
Top Bottom