Denver Ducks~ Hello there!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Izuriel, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Izuriel

Izuriel New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    The title pretty much says it all!

I live in Denver and my partner and I are planning on raising ducks starting this coming spring. We're starting our preps early and plan to have everything from a duck house and a protected run to emergency situations in case the snow gets bad.

He's been spearheading the movement, honestly, but we decided that input from those who already own ducks or other fowl in their backyard are likely our best resource since just googling most of our inquiries leads either of us to this website anyway.

We live in Denver with a large enough back yard (from what we've read) to raise 3-4 ducklings comfortably and still having room ourselves when we're back there. I'm quite the perfectionist when it comes to raising animals and very cautious about adopting/rescuing any animal before I'm ready. In short, if I can't properly raise the animal, I will love it enough to let it go.

Sappy stuff done with... :p

That being said, what are a few major tips you could give someone who is entirely new and very much a novice in duck-knowledge? I will likely be leaning on this forum a lot so... yeah! :)

I'm mostly comfortable with any construction we have to do, what really worries me is the stuff I haven't thought of yet. e,g, I only thought of today if different breeds can be raised with each other. In short, I found they can, but still, we were hinged on cayuga ducks and magpies that we didn't even know if they had some blood feud! :p

I digress,

Nice to meet you! I can't wait to read your responses to my insanity!

- Izu

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Izu, Welcome to Backyard chickens. I don't know much about ducks but you can post your questions on the "Duck thread." Just put that in the search box and it will pop up.

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I had two ducks once upon a time. The main thing I strongly advise you to do, is do not waste your money on a waterer. Invest in a few rubber tubs, one deep and one shallow and use those as watering dishes. Especially if you live in a cold climate, these will be invaluable. They are black so they soak up heat and water stays thawed for longer, when they do freeze, you can easily stomp out the ice, and they are easy to clean, which you will need, because ducks mess up their water faster than a pig in a puddle. I hope you enjoy BYC!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Izu

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I don't know much about ducks either but I'm sure you will really enjoy our duck section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
    I'm sure the keepers there will be able to help you out.

Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Izu, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Best of luck to you and your ducks! :)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by