1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Denying regular roosting area?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tenderkat, Dec 1, 2009.

1. tenderkat

tenderkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right area, but here goes. We are expecting a cold snap that will last for at least a week, where the temps will go down to the single digits. I need to do some quick modifications of the coop to prepare for the low temps. I have a hen that has taken to roosting above a window, away from the roost and the other chickens. I need to insulate and close off this wall cavity, so Helen will no longer have access to it. I'm just curious how traumatic this will be for her, and will she freak out when she finds out she can no longer get to her preferred spot, and now must roost with the rest of the flock. Also, will she persist in trying to get up there, and repeatedly 'smash' into the new wall?

2. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    Well, if she does, there's not too much you can do about it. She'll figure it out sooner or later.

3. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

It might may stress her out for a while but it won't do any lasting damage. She will figure it out quick enough and find somewhere else to roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by