Depluming mites dying-Can they take feathers with it? or is it molt?

hollytruitt

Chirping
Apr 16, 2023
My flock had depluming mites. I treated with Ivermectin based on Gail Damrow book. 2nd treatment was done last Friday. Since yesterday I noticed the back of the head of several girls are missing feathers quarter size. This was not there last Friday. Is this a molt? When depluming mites are killed by the ivermectin can this cause feather loss in new areas? I also noticed their skin are looking better now than before treatment.

Thanks

Did you have the feather mites confirmed by a vet? How much and what strength was the ivermectin? Was it applied on the back of the neck over then spine? Do you have any photos?

No vets here. Signs point to depluming mites. There are not much information on this if feather loss continues after 2nd treatment.

Pics in this are the ones we saw yesterday and today.

Attachments

• head feather loss 1.jpeg
    head feather loss 1.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Head feather loss 3.jpeg
    Head feather loss 3.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Head feather loss2.jpeg
    Head feather loss2.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 20
These pictures are before we started ivermectin. Back feathers and vent. Skin was all broken up too and irritated. Skin now looks a lot better and smoother.

Attachments

• back feather 5.jpeg
    back feather 5.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 21
  • back feather 4.jpeg
    back feather 4.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 19
  • back feather 3.jpeg
    back feather 3.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 17
  • back feather 2.jpeg
    back feather 2.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Back feather .jpeg
    Back feather .jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Vent1.jpeg
    Vent1.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 18
  • back feather1.jpeg
    back feather1.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 23
On back of the head there are no feathers. Its all smooth skin. Could this be a molt due to stress of depluming mites?

It may be hard to tell about depluming mites, versus feather picking, rooster damage, or molting. Molting usually happens at about 16-18 months, then yearly thereafter. Stress can bring about a molt. If you have given a sufficient amount of ivermectin twice 14 days apart, it should have treated those. With other body mites and lice, it is good to do a coop cleanout removing bedding far away, the spraying the coop, nests, and roosts with permethrin. I am not completely familiar with feather mites, but those are rarer. Feather picking should always be investigated, since it is very common.

It may be hard to tell about depluming mites, versus feather picking, rooster damage, or molting. Molting usually happens at about 16-18 months, then yearly thereafter. Stress can bring about a molt. If you have given a sufficient amount of ivermectin twice 14 days apart, it should have treated those. With other body mites and lice, it is good to do a coop cleanout removing bedding far away, the spraying the coop, nests, and roosts with permethrin. I am not completely familiar with feather mites, but those are rarer. Feather picking should always be investigated, since it is very common.
Coop clean out was done and treated with elector PSP. I am wondering if I put Permithryn powder in the run since they dust bath in the run would it still be harmful for my indoor cats when I come back to the house? We haven't seen any evidence of feather picking. Just to themselves on their back side/vent area. They showed all the signs of depluming mites. They are now sleeping so much better at night, no longer preening excessively, no longer irritated and much calmer... Feathers still broken though but know that will go when they molt this fall.

Back
Top Bottom