Depressed chicken...what's wrong? Pictures included

hockeygirl56

Songster
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI

[IMG

I have a 1 1/2 yr old Isa Brown that has been acting depressed off/on for a couple months now. I noticed she had new feather growth, so I chalked it up to molting, especially bc she's not the only one in my flock molting right now. However, the last couple days she's gotten worse again, walking around slowly and puffed out, and the last couple nights she's been hanging out in the nest boxes. She will eat and drink, and does go out with the others but not her normal activity level. Today I took some pictures of her standing there with her eyes closed, and she will stand resting the top of one foot on the ground. I noticed today she has watery poop, which I took a picture of. I've checked their poop before and since this started with her, and it's always negative, but I'm going to try to get a sample in the morning to check at work (I'm a vet tech). She really worries me with the way she's acting, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them! I'm hoping to hear this is normal molting behavior (first time any of mine have molted), but my guess is no. Thanks!

Right after I posted this I picked her up, and although I've seen her eating, she hardly weighs anything, and had pretty much nothing in her crop, so now I'm even more concerned :(

Watery droppings can be produced by hens which are too hot. It can be a way for them to cool down by drinking a lot and losing some of their heat in frequent wet droppings. It can also be a sign that the hens are not eating enough too

Last edited:
Glad you are going to do a fecal test, as that will rule out/in worms..does it check for cocci too? The fluffy feathers, with runs can be a sign of that as well as the lethargy, although the poo looks like she drank too much water? Has it been hot where you are?

Yes molting is a stressor for them, and that can make their immune systems more susceptible to parasites and diseases. Unless you have added any new birds lately, I doubt it's a disease though. More likely some kind of parasite.

Best of luck and let us know how things turn out with the fecal test?!

Out of curiosity, does the vet you work for, give you any advise or know about birds?

I plan on doing a fecal that checks for both parasites and coccidia as well as other bacteria. It hasn't been very hot here in Michigan...I think it got up to the low 80s today. If I don't find any parasites at all, should I treat in case or is it possible unnecessary meds might be too much for her right now? At the clinic I work at, I'm the most knowledgeable with chickens, but there are a couple drs at our other hospitals that see birds, although I don't know how much they know about chickens. Our main hospital is Wilson Veterinary Hospital in Romeo, and I think there's someone in our Hollow Corners clinic in Dryden.

I plan on doing a fecal that checks for both parasites and coccidia as well as other bacteria. It hasn't been very hot here in Michigan...I think it got up to the low 80s today. If I don't find any parasites at all, should I treat in case or is it possible unnecessary meds might be too much for her right now? At the clinic I work at, I'm the most knowledgeable with chickens, but there are a couple drs at our other hospitals that see birds, although I don't know how much they know about chickens. Our main hospital is Wilson Veterinary Hospital in Romeo, and I think there's someone in our Hollow Corners clinic in Dryden.
Will you be using the coccidia snap-test from Idexx? If so, you should call the rep and talk to them about it's accuracy when doing testing for chicken coccidia, 'cause I read somewhere that they don't recommend it.

-Kathy

Sometimes molting takes a long time. She is probably lethargic because she is so malnourished. I had one who got very skinny like that and I needed to give her separate feedings of things like scrambled eggs pieces of bread, anything to stimulate her appetite. Eventually she snapped out of it. They can get very depressed.

Right after I posted this I picked her up, and although I've seen her eating, she hardly weighs anything, and had pretty much nothing in her crop, so now I'm even more concerned
sad.png
IMNSHO, you should weigh her and start tube feeding, ASAP. Heck, you're ahead of most, you can ask your boss for the supplies, lol.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I'll be doing the good old fashioned microscope check for coccidia. I held some corn cobs in front of her and she ate those ok. I think I'm gonna make some oatmeal tonight and go out early before work and get her to eat some of that. Are scrambled eggs better than oatmeal or any really good foods I should make her? I'd take her to work with me tomorrow but I feel like that'll stress her out more.

Gonna get up early before work and do some cooking for Miss Erma, so if anyone knows of some super tasty, good for her food to make, I'll be checking this when I wake up so please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom