Depressed Muscovy?

keitorin

Songster
Oct 8, 2016
Alabama
Hello, my 5-6 month old Muscovy girl has been acting very odd this past week.
She recently started tweeting/peeping, and she never trills anymore.
She keeps her neck scrunched up and her feathers fluffed up, and her tail is always pointing down.
When I ask people they say “oh she’s fine”
But they don’t know her, she’s acting so weird.
She throws up when she peeps because she keeps her head pointed down and forces it up.
She started laying eggs 3 weeks ago, which I wonder if that has anything to do with the way she’s acting.
I want to take her to a vet but I’m 15, and my mom would have to be the one to take her, and my mom won’t do it because she doesn’t want to spend the money.
Here’s a picture of her tail pointing down, which it was always up.
AAD99ABE-4655-42CE-B934-2F989F6C139B.jpeg

And here’s a picture of her neck scrunched up
488D4DF6-D402-499D-9A48-20B056BA1576.jpeg

I do not want any comments saying “I’m sure she’s okay” because I know the way she’s acting isn’t normal.
We have 2 other Muscovys and our female tends to pick on her, so I wonder if she could also be depressed because of that, but she still hangs around her all the time. I was wondering if she was going broody, but she doesn’t get back on her nest after she gets off in the morning.
She started running away from us now, and she never used to do that.
Help me please

I’d say she isn’t broody if she has been like this for a while and isn’t staying on her nest. If she is constantly being bullied it can be causing stress but mine pick on each other and don’t walk around like that. Will your mom pick up some vitamins for her? TSC has poultry nutri drench you can give it too her straight or in her water. If you can get it for her post back and we’ll give you other ways to get it in her. Are her eggs good and hard shelled?

I’d say she isn’t broody if she has been like this for a while and isn’t staying on her nest. If she is constantly being bullied it can be causing stress but mine pick on each other and don’t walk around like that. Will your mom pick up some vitamins for her? TSC has poultry nutri drench you can give it too her straight or in her water. If you can get it for her post back and we’ll give you other ways to get it in her. Are her eggs good and hard shelled?

We give her nutritional yeast everyday, I will tell my mom to get some vitamins.
I definitely think part of this is caused by stress.
Our female Muscovy Emma is very bossy and controlling of her, she doesn’t let her eat or drink, so we have to keep her away so miracle can eat and drink.
I think we will keep Emma in a separate pen so miracle can eat and drink without the stress.

I don’t think stress could cause her regurgitating though.
I think my mom will take her to the vet if she sees her regurgitate.

Her eggshells are nice and hard.

That's good then her calcium levels are probably okay you still might want to put out some oyster shell so she can use it as needed even with using layer.

Till mom picks up the vitamins put some Apple cider vinegar in her drinking water it's a good tonic for our birds. 1-2 Tab to a gal of drinking water. 1-2X a week. The one with mother is best but if you don't have that just reg will be okay.

Good idea on separate feeding stations I have to have 4 here so my bullies can't run the others off. having 40 birds makes it rough to make sure everyone is eating but having multiple ones spread out can sure help.

Stress can make us feel awful even make us sick but maybe she did eat something she shouldn't have, how long has this been going on?

Back
Top Bottom