Depressed or Sick Dog?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
My dog (3 years old) has been acting very depressed and not her normal self. She used to wag her tail and lick us, and also was very excited when we came home, or if we were going on a walk.

We got a new puppy about 3 weeks ago. They got on really well at first, and my older dog liked to play with the puppy and wrestle about.

But now she is acting withdrawn. She is only eating small amounts and not playing at all. She does not come to greet us or visitors at the house, and does not wag her tail at all, keeping it tucked under her. She is sleeping lots and now wont play with the puppy. She is also running away from me when i get her lead out, and does not want to go for a walk. If I make her go, she will drag behind on the lead and keep looking back to the house.

I don't know if she is getting sick, or if she is depressed. I am so worried about her. I will take her to the vet if I think she is sick, but she does not have any symptoms apart from this depression.

I have had bad experiences with the vet a few times before, when I have ended up paying a lot of money for unnecessary tests and medicines that did not work (for my cat and chickens). So I don't want to go down that road again.

Thank you for any advise.

I agree with the above. I think bringing her to the vet would be the best idea, especially if she is acting that withdrawn. Generally, that is a sign of pain or illness in a dog.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I am taking her to the vets right after I write this post.

This morning she was the same, and I think she is breathing slightly heavily, but maybe I am just thinking too much.

Anyway I hope the vet will be able to tell if anything is wrong, like if she has a high temperature or something.

i will let you know the outcome.....

Definitely going to the vet is a good idea, not eating and sleeping lots is a sign that something is definitely wrong.

I would request blood work be drawn and tested for any tick-borne diseases.

OK, so I am not sure about what is happening with my dog.

I have spend a lot of money... and there is no sure diagnosis.

They did blood tests......to check for tick born disease......and they came back negative.

They said she has a very high temperature, and has fluid on the lungs. She is breathing very heavy now.

They gave he many injections.. some to bring down her temperature and others as antibiotics.

They sponged her down with cool water and a fan on her to get her temp down.

Now I am home, she is not so hot, I have 4 different kinds of tablets to give her 2 times a day. She has to go back in 7 days to see if she is getting better.

They could only tell me that they think she has a COLD!!! because of the changing weather.

I don't think that is right......I don't even think dogs can get a cold. I am so upset and want to cry.

I wish they knew what the problem was so they could treat her. I fear I am just going to have to keep going back to them for more tests with negitive results and more expensive medicines.

I am keeping the puppy away form her, and she is in my bedroom with the air con on. I put ice in her drinking water and am letting her sleep on my bed. She looks so sad.

I am doing the best i can and just hope she will be OK in the end.

are u still in thailand? cause if u are, it could be that , if your big dog wasnt vaccinated, your pup has given her something, even distemper, which is rampant in thailand, since a majority of folks dont vaccinate .

also, if u are in thailand, try to tell me what the pills were for. you know there are two different tick diseases there that are a bit different then inother places. i can give u a forum that i moderate that has vets and folks there that maybe can help u in real time. also, what area...? if u can go and look in thaivisa forum for the pets/vets sub forum, lots of info and treatments and also names of good vets and not the usual (backcountry) vets that just hand out pills that dont work.

if u arent in thailand, it still could be your big dog got something from the pup... or it could be coincedance.
let me know i can hook u up to someone there...
bina

Hi, has she been vaccinated? neutered? any vomiting at all? perhaps they should do an xray to rule out any foreign bodies too, sorry to hear you are having to go through this, I hope she gets better for you.

I'm glad you took her to the vet. I know it's not good news, but please try and stay positive....she needs you and will pick up on how you are feeling. Monitor her closely in the air conditioning. Yes she needs to stay cooled, but not get chilled. Fluid on the lungs.....they may have said "cold" but mean pneumonia. Is she coughing? Does she have any discharge from eyes or nose? Did they x-ray her or just listen to her chest?

Give the meds exactly as instructed. Do not skip a dose. Please.... don't stop giving them until completely gone, even when she starts showing improvement. Can you post what they prescribed?

If she is not vomiting, you will need to get some food in her with the meds. If she will not eat her regular food, boiled chicken(no salt) and rice would be good for her. You can offer her the broth as well, if not to fatty. Do you have access to Sweet Potatoes or Pumpkins? Canned is fine. Most dogs love both. If you do, cook and offer her some. They will help boost her immune system. I often can disguise meds in either one too.

Please keep us updated on her. I will keep ya in my thoughts....

Back
Top Bottom