Depressed or Sick Dog?

My first thought with the rest of the symptoms you described is canine influenza with a secondary pneumonia infection. It sounds like your dog may have a more severe case and may need more intensive treatment. Is she eating or drinking? If she's not drinking, I recommend having the vet give her fluids (They may have done this already). Also, it sounds like they have already put her on antibiotics, but I would suggest checking that they definitely did prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Here is a website with a good description of those two illnesses. It describes the signs an symptoms, as well as recommended courses of treatment.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/respiratory/c_dg_canine_influenza#.UdMT_RTD_IV

are u still in thailand? cause if u are, it could be that , if your big dog wasnt vaccinated, your pup has given her something, even distemper, which is rampant in thailand, since a majority of folks dont vaccinate .
Yes, I am still in Thailand - Chiang Mai. My original dog is fully vaccinated, and the pup has had the first set of injections.
also, if u are in thailand, try to tell me what the pills were for. you know there are two different tick diseases there that are a bit different then inother places. i can give u a forum that i moderate that has vets and folks there that maybe can help u in real time. also, what area...? if u can go and look in thaivisa forum for the pets/vets sub forum, lots of info and treatments and also names of good vets and not the usual (backcountry) vets that just hand out pills that dont work.
They did a blood test to see if it was a disease or parasite form ticks, but that was negative. I use frontline treatment on the dog regular throughout the year, also worm the dog, etc.
if u arent in thailand, it still could be your big dog got something from the pup... or it could be coincedance.
let me know i can hook u up to someone there...
bina
The puppy had kennel cough the first week here, but was treated and recovered fast. That was nearly one month ago now. My bigger dog is not coughing at all, and is acting very sick.......with the kennel cough the other dog was still full on energy.

I have antibiotics for the big dog, also some anti inflammatory pills. I don't know what the 3rd lot are for - maybe to keep the fever low.

Whatever, they are they seem to have helped the breathing and her heart beat is not so fast and powerful now. It was really thumping hard yesterday.

But she is still very inactive.

She is drinking and eating (not as much as usual - she is leaving about half her usual food).

I have to keep giving the pills (which she eats when I wrap them in cheese). She will have to go back for another check up next week.

Thanks for everyone for all their help.

hi, if u want, i can give the name of a forum/facebook friend of mine; she's a bit wierd about the RAW food diets and vaccines, spaying etc... but she is , i think, very very good with dogs, very active with rescues, and knows lots of the good vets, plus alot of experience... she is dutch i think. she has a kennel in doi saket chiang mai

https://www.facebook.com/nienke.luckydogs

she is a bit obsessive but has been integral in the help with hte rescue of the meat industry dogs recently.
ive known her along time from the thai/farang partners forum , she is a moderator there, she is also a business woman, but she is very friendly (at least virtually), so she might be able to help you out with what meds are which, etc...
she also has a list of good vets (we try to compile one every once in a while. i dont live in thailand but have a thai husband so am active on the forum there. )

give her a lookup. i forgot to add. she is a boxer afficiando, but also i think raised or trained GSD's. she's in to clicker methods etc.

good luck.

hi, if u want, i can give the name of a forum/facebook friend of mine; she's a bit wierd about the RAW food diets and vaccines, spaying etc... but she is , i think, very very good with dogs, very active with rescues, and knows lots of the good vets, plus alot of experience... she is dutch i think. she has a kennel in doi saket chiang mai

https://www.facebook.com/nienke.luckydogs

she is a bit obsessive but has been integral in the help with hte rescue of the meat industry dogs recently.
ive known her along time from the thai/farang partners forum , she is a moderator there, she is also a business woman, but she is very friendly (at least virtually), so she might be able to help you out with what meds are which, etc...
she also has a list of good vets (we try to compile one every once in a while. i dont live in thailand but have a thai husband so am active on the forum there. )

give her a lookup. i forgot to add. she is a boxer afficiando, but also i think raised or trained GSD's. she's in to clicker methods etc.

good luck.
Thank you.............that place in near to my home. I know someone who got their dogs trained at her 'school'. I will see if she can help. My dogs have the raw food diet too, but they also get dry food and 'normal' dog treats sometimes.

Last night the dog seemed a lot worse. My partner and I were really worried.....and it was very upsetting so see her. I cooled her down with cool water on her stomach and ears. Then she fell asleep on a damp towel next to the fan.

She was so bad......I sort of expected her to be in a very bad state in the morning. She was very unresponsive and very hot.. and her heart was pumping so hard.

However, I am very glad to report she seems to be getting better.
fl.gif

This morning her temperature has come down....just still a bit high. She ate ALL her breakfast and seems more alert and looking about at whats going on. She even started barking and got up when someone came to the door........since she was sick she would not even bother to look up.

I am thinking the antibiotics are starting to work. I just hope she continues to improve as I have to go out of the country next week.

sounds good. the world is really shrinking yes?

are u thai, or married/partner to a thai? like i said, if u want there is also a forum for farangs in thailand-english speaking (but a special forum for us ladies with thai husbands) and also a pets/vets area so that people (mostly westerner men with thai partners or female westerns with thai partners) can get medical help for their animals that matches our (western ) expectations, including euthenasia for ailing animals if needed (which is not done so much in thailand), oet me know (if there is a way to personal message here on this forum?)... there is also a bunch of people that backyard farm (as well as rice/cassava etc) including ducks/specialty chickens/etc... so if u need local help also they can do that. im actually in israel with my thai husband, we have thai fighting chickens as husband's pets, and i have cochin/pekins for eggs. our thai chickens lived with us in our house until a few months ago, hand raised.

glad your dog is feeling ok/ btw, i know that poisoning is also an issue there, either from farm poisons that are over used, but also from nasty neighbhors. ive heard quite a few horror stories about that too..

bina.

My poor doggy is still very ill, still have a fever after over a week, and still very lethargic.

We have been back to the vets, and they now think she has a parasite from ticks, that is destroying her liver.

She in anemic and lost weight.

I have many more pills to feed her now. I hope this time it will work.

I have to go away in 2 days time and I am leaving her at the vest for the week.

This is turning out to be a very costly experience, and I just hope she gets better.

I cant understand why all the street dogs, with no proper dog food, vaccinations, or health care as all so fat and healthy, but my dog......which has had the best care, and all the medical stuff, has come down with this. Guess that life.

as i said, there are different parasitic infections from ticks in thailand then in europe or america and one is particularly strong.
second: the soi and village dogs are strong because no one really takes care of them so the weak ones die off; third, most suffer from demodex mange, as u are aware.
what breed is your dog?
please try to get ahold of the other foreigners in your area for the name of a good vet. there is a very good vet school farther south from you, cant remember where. maybe even korat agriculture college has vets, but do check,.

i think your dog must get pints of blood. but once he/she has gotten blood im not sure if he can again or not.
bina

where exactly are u located? in a village or in the city? i will try on theother forum of chiang mai to see if there are any other vet recommendations, and also on the pet/vet area too, for suggestions.

but i need more info on the dog: type, age, test results (w/b r/b platelets)...etc...

or u can go to the forum and search for past posts about this, as there are many...
i just dont have time to do a full search.
but i htink u need a new opinion for your dog.
bina

The Small Animal Hospital on Cholpratan (Canal) Road
Dr Nook Animal Hospital is where I always take my cats. If you go south on Chang Klan from Pantip Plaza, you will see a big Kasikorn Bank office on your left. Turn right into the soi opposite the bank and Dr Nook will be the last house on your right. She is very knowledgeable and thorough and speaks excellent English. Her phone is 081 883 5430.

these two places showed up when i searched for vet recommendations in chiang mai. hopeing that those arent bangkok adresses.

and these three places which are far from you but many people have used them as a last resort (and expensive ) but very good, international level.

Chulalongkorn University
Faculty of Veterinary Science
TEl.: 0 2218 9771, 0 2218 9773

Mahidol University
Faculty of Veterinary Science
http://www.vs.mahidol.ac.th/hospital/
http://www.vs.mahido...i...5&Itemid=74
Tel.:0-2441-5242-4

Kasetsart University
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
http://hospital.vet.ku.ac.th/
Tel. :0-2942-8756-9

I can't thank you all enough. Your help, advise and encouragement has been a wonderful blessing.

My dog has got no better,,,but no worse.

I am out in a very rural village, but I have been going to a vet in Chiang Mai city... I don't drive as I am partially blind, but my neighbour was kind enough to take me.....4 times now.

I have left my dog (Samlee) at the vets while I go to Laos for my visa. At least there the vet can keep a constant watch on her, and give her the medication she needs.

I can speak Thai quite well, but the technical medical stuff looses me!!! From what I could gather they have treated for other tick disease and now its boiled down to the last one..........which they say is the most likely... apparently the parasite lives in the dogs liver and destroys it slowly... but it does not show up in blood tests.

My dog is a cross breed, I would guess miniature poodle X Shih tzu (or something similar).

She is 2 years old.

When I get back to Thailand I will let you all know how she is doing. The vet seemed really confident that she would get better with this current treatment. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom