desert bird

huxly

Hatching
Feb 10, 2016
eastern province KSA

Hi to all .Im a newbie to the forum all the way from the desert of The arabian gulf
1f630.png

A far cry from the uk where we call home.
speaking of cry..or should I say crow...
my son was given a beautiful white lt brahma..(I think)
he was told it was a roo.I think its quite young but its so friendly and gentle.We wanted to by a companion but didnt know what to buy..a roo or a pullet.My wife has doubts as to its gender as the the owner wasnt really sure.(It had been given to him by a local to cook and hes a vegetarian lol)
We live in a large compound , mostly sand and the bird loves scratching around and digging.
We would appreciate some help
1f60a.png

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Where in the UK did you call home? I'm in Yorkshire UK. I see you have posted in the what breed gender section of the forum, I'm sure members there will be able to help you with identifying your bird.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Given the pea comb and feathered legs, I agree you have a Brahma or Brahma mix, and it's definitely a rooster. I would recommend getting several hens to go with it as too many roosters (or too few hens) as they mature and their hormones kick in can become very hard physically on your hens, over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens but with a calm and gentle breed like Brahmas you can probably reduce that ration to 1 rooster for every 7-8 hens. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

What a wonderful welcome.We are from a beautiful part of SW london ...Richmond up Thames.
I had hens and a rooster growing up as my parents insisted on home grown eggs lol..neighbours loved the crow at the crack of dawn so it was all good...ofcourse the odd couple of fresh eggs helped
263a.png

Locals here in Saudi love nature and the freedom to have chicks roaming around is wonderful esp for the kids.
It gets to around 50c with 80% humidity here and these birds bury themselves deep and chill!

Hi and welcome from another Tyke via Kenya. He sure is a handsome fella - a harem to call his own and he will be as happy as a pig in you know where
smile.png
. I used to live in Sudan and the temps you mention bring back not so pleasant memories, but hey, you get used to it after a while i guess! Great to have you join us and i hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

That certainly is a good looking bird! I hope your son is enjoying him, kids and chickens just seem to go together.

Thanks for joining us!

Im double posting at the moment lol on 2 threads but hey im new
263a.png

well all 4 of the kids and the cat seem to be having fun with him.Thank you all for the welcome.Im happy to join and I havent stopped reading since I joined.There is so much info here.
Well.when I get him a harem lol...I will put some photos up..I guess They can be of other breeds???nothing too diverse...it depends what they have at the market week to week.He looks quite young but hes getting tall.
Apart from what we give him from home they sell a bag of chicken feed that is a good mix of corn seeds and pellets.He loves it and eats from from our hands too.....The only thing is that he hasnt crowed yet...I wonder when or if that will happen???

Back
Top Bottom