Desert chickens, will need coolness!

I have a cooler for my coop, and sprinkler system. I put the cooler on about 9.00am and turn it off about 7.00pm.
The coop has 2 doors and 2 opening windows which I leave open at night. The nights get down to about 65/70 deg. It is 101 deg right now. The temps will start to drop by the middle of September.
I live in California City (2300 ft), not too far from Bakersfield.
Are they having a chicken meet at General Beale this year?

I can really cool everything down if need be.

@mojavemike1 I live in Mojave, and am planning on outfitting my coop with a mister. Did you buy yours or make it? If so, where?
I installed the cooler in the coop when I raised canaries 20 years ago, so it came in handy when I converted to chickens.
The mister is actually a sprinkler system that was already in place when I purchased the property 25 years ago. If I turn it on full blast, the sprinkler turns to mist, because of the extremely high pressure water main we have in Calcity.

Hey Snowkitten714, I'm in Bakersfield, where r u? I do most of the strategies u do, but I put my misters on at about 95 degrees. I have 2 fans in the coop & a big box fan on the ground outside the run. I give them cold/frozen treats, & spray down the area when needed. Mine just started laying, so I'll be putting frozen water bottles in the nesting boxes.

Hey!!! Nice to finally find a local to me, I live in Taft. Where in Bakersfield are you, because I know city limits don't allow chickens? Not that it ever stops anyone. haha

I also go to Cal City off and on for the off-road races they host up there. Do we have a local get together for chickens somewhere here? I only know of the Kern County Fair coming up. I'd love to meet other chicken obsessed people such as myself. They are rather hard to find around here (that I've found).

I have a trampoline that I secured all te way around so tons of shade. I also put out pans of water and dump in ice I I know it's going to be super hot. I have sand in the small run which the girls like to hang out in. I'll wet down the sand in the mornin and they fluff up the wet sand on their feathers and buteo down in it. That seems to help a lot. Thy love walking in and wading in the pans of water too.

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep chickens cool in the hot summers of the Mojave Desert. My wife and I are going to get chickens in the fall, but I'd like to prepare for it in our coop for when the summer heat comes back around. Thanks in advance!
Welcome from IE So Cal!
frow.gif
Us desert dwellers have unique needs for our chickens. I've found it very easy and rewarding with a little planning. For housing and habitat, here's a helpful link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1005376/battling-extreme-desert-heat If you go to forums, type in heat in the search bar, several great threads come up. Less worry and care if you select heat tolerant breeds. Since there is virtually no natural forage or bugs, diet is a concern as well. If you haven't yet visited the Learning Center, there is a wealth of information available. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center If you'll check the categories in Forum Navagation, you can post a question about anything. There are so many experts that are kind to respond. WARNING: Beware of "chicken math"! Type that in the search bar for your own protection. You need to know.
ep.gif
lau.gif

Hey!!! Nice to finally find a local to me, I live in Taft. Where in Bakersfield are you, because I know city limits don't allow chickens? Not that it ever stops anyone. haha

I also go to Cal City off and on for the off-road races they host up there. Do we have a local get together for chickens somewhere here? I only know of the Kern County Fair coming up. I'd love to meet other chicken obsessed people such as myself. They are rather hard to find around here (that I've found).
Sorry I didn't reply right off, we were gone. I live outside city limits, we have 2 1/2 acres, so I have horses & I can have chickens! I have 14 right now. I don't know about any chicken shows like they have in Midwest. As far as I know, county fairs r our only option for chicken get togethers! I've never gone to desert for car/motorcycle racing, but I've done a ton of endurance rides on my horse in Ridgecrest, Coso Junction, & Lancaster. Winter rides of course!

Back
Top Bottom