Design advice?

CityAvians

Hatching
Sep 22, 2015
So this will be my first coop and I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. I'm not much of a builder but my friend is so she'll be helping me, but I still need advice from other coop builders. Please note that I'll be keeping coturnix quail, not chickens as they'd probably be a problem ( not to mention illegal ) here.

I was wondering if I could use our metal gazebo type thing as a shell for the coop, and maybe cover the top in chicken wire and put the tarp over the wire. I'm not sure what to do with the sides though, make the whole thing chicken wire or should I use boards so I can keep them out there in the winter. It gets quite cold here in the winter ( I live in Philadelphia ) but oddly enough we don't seem to get much snow lately. Today was actually about 60 degrees Fahrenheit in the middle of Januray haha. We have really strange winters here but you never know, I know one winter it almost got below 0 and another we had a blizzard that lasted a few days. The weather is very unpredictable.

I was thinking of also making an indoor coop in our basement for late December - February, or for storm emergencies.

Here is this metal gazebo, what are your opinions? Please mind the mess we've been slowly cleaning and organizing!

So this will be my first coop and I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. I'm not much of a builder but my friend is so she'll be helping me, but I still need advice from other coop builders. Please note that I'll be keeping coturnix quail, not chickens as they'd probably be a problem ( not to mention illegal ) here.

I was wondering if I could use our metal gazebo type thing as a shell for the coop, and maybe cover the top in chicken wire and put the tarp over the wire. I'm not sure what to do with the sides though, make the whole thing chicken wire or should I use boards so I can keep them out there in the winter. It gets quite cold here in the winter ( I live in Philadelphia ) but oddly enough we don't seem to get much snow lately. Today was actually about 60 degrees Fahrenheit in the middle of Januray haha. We have really strange winters here but you never know, I know one winter it almost got below 0 and another we had a blizzard that lasted a few days. The weather is very unpredictable.

I was thinking of also making an indoor coop in our basement for late December - February, or for storm emergencies.

Here is this metal gazebo, what are your opinions? Please mind the mess we've been slowly cleaning and organizing!

Hmmmmm. I would try and have at least 2-3 solid sides. So maybe you could do wood pallets on 2-3 of the sides and then tarp on the other? Considering it can get pretty cold there I personally wouldn't use a tarp for a side, but I think the roof would be fine(just check periodically for rips). Maybe if you had a tarp for a side though you could buy one with fleece lining to retain heat. Sorry if I'm all over the place...Feel free to ask any questions you have for me!! I think you'd be happier if they could be in it in the winter also, so try to make it as winter proof as possible!

No :/ we had a heavy storm with a lot of wind and it ripped. That's why I'd be using the tarp.

Hi. First of all
welcome-byc.gif

Second of all, I know nothing about quail and what requirements they may have. I'm sure someone will be glad to help you with ideas.
You may also want to reach out with this question on the quail forum as well, that way you might get "double" the suggestions.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail

Keep us posted! Would love to see what you come up with.

Back
Top Bottom