Design help- first coop

Here are my updated plans- now 8x10. With all I've learned in the past few weeks I have a bunch of new questions.
1. My coop and run are in a very rocky area, so it's being challenging to dig in the hardware cloth around the edges. How deep do I need to go? I'll have a path around three sides, can I just bury it under the gravel there?
2. I'm looking for feedback on using poop boards vs. keeping trays of PDZ Sweet. I'd like to minimize and simplify coop maintenance as much as possible. Any thoughts on which is quicker/easier?
3. I won't be home most days at dark. I plan to install an automatic door, but I'm reading that ducks often prefer to stay out later than chickens (I have 2 ducks and 19 chickens). Can I train them to come in earlier or am I better if just setting the door to close later?
Thanks for all your help everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_125958.jpg
    IMG_20200402_125958.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 5
Ducks are dirty especially with water bath may not want them together Although I am anti duck person :celebrateyou have been given great advice more windows is always good in my book also

Ducks are dirty especially with water bath may not want them together
I'm certainly learning plenty about that, right now they're in my basement :barnie (though putting them in the yard during the day when the weather is warm has been helping).
I'm also concerned because I also have silkies and I know I'll have to keep them dry. I may end up having a separate duck house by the end of the season....

This coop is 8'x16' It is my favorite coop. Easy to clean out the poop. I don't have an apron around it but do have hardware cloth around the bottom on three sides.
IMG_2923.JPG
IMG_20160216_121353.jpg
IMG_2921.JPG

Back
Top Bottom