Design phase, food and water in coop or runner?

Elwar

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Hudson, FL
Ok, I have the rudimentary design as far as where the runner and coop will be located and the size.

I plan on having the coop and runner setup where the chickens will stay in the coop at night and during the day I'll have them in the runner that will be able to detach to be moved around the yard.

The question is, do I plan for having the food inside the coop or inside the runner?

I think it's a personal preference. They don't really need food and water at night as long as you let them out first thing in the am. Good Luck

So would the chickens be ok with just grass to snack on when they're out on their runner with no food?

If you leave coop door open they will go inside to eat if they aren't foraging enough. My chickens have food inside and out but they still go inside during the day more than i expected. If they have food available they will go to it.

Sounds like you are saying the run will not be attached to the coop during the day, and you will move only the run around the yard. If so, they will need food and water in the run. If you close them in the coop at night, they will also need food and water in the coop, unless you will let them out every day at dawn and they will stay out until dark. Even then, I would at least put water in the coop.

Quote:
Correct, ya...I was kinda figuring on food in the run. I'll keep them closed in the coop at night since there are predators all over. The run will be detachable from the coop so I can move it around the yard or just keep it attached and let them go in and out of the coop.

I have food and water both inside and out (and plenty of it). They eat outside all day and have it available through the night should they want a late night snack! I also will put some grass clippings and other treats in the run during the day. Two nights ago it was a dozen crickets - now that was entertaining!

I always make a point to keep any food out of the coop so as not to attract any nocturnal critters inside. (As if several big fat chickens weren't tastey enough!)

Back
Top Bottom