Design question

Oblio13

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
New Hampshire
Here's a pic of a coop I'm building. The joists are 4' above the ground and spaced 2' apart. One will serve as a roost, and there will be a floor across the others. Will standard birds be able to fly up onto the roost and then into the shelter, or do I need to incorporate a ramp?

IMG_0615.jpg

I'd incorporate a ramp, just so they get the idea. My banty mille fluers have no problem flying over 6 feet straight up. Neither do my standard mutts. Beautiful job, it should look awesome when you are done! What color are you going to paint/finish off the coop?

Tanya

Quote:
I'm just going to seal the wood and leave it natural. I have fiberglass panels for the roof. One side will be grey, the other side will be clear. I figure I can turn it so the clear side is to the north in the summer and the south in the winter. I want it to be bright inside, although I'm mildly concerned that it might overheat. I can always change it later without too much trouble, I guess.

We thought it would be a cool idea to use the clear corrugated roofing for the coop, being as that it doesn't get that hot in Alaska in the summer... well, that coop shot to 105°F before I realized it, and it's facing East! We finally had to switch to something else. If you do use the clear for light, just make sure you have some way to shade if it starts getting too hot. You might have slow-roasted chicken otherwise!
big_smile.png

I think a ramp would be good at least to start. The vertical shouldn't be that much of a problem, but they will have to get used to flying between the roosts and not hitting their wings on the other roosts. They are pretty klutzy when they are young. Nice coop!

Took your advice and added a ramp. Ridin' Shootin' Rootin' Tootin' Rudy took one of his peeps in and tested it already. He says they'll like it.

IMG_0623-1.jpg

Looks good, Oblio! Cute boy, too! All I got is girls, 4 of them! (for this I am actually very thankful, I think I would make a sissy out of the poor lad...)

Tanya

Back
Top Bottom