Designing a Quail Coop

ShangoBunny

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2017
Virginia, USA
I ordered a dozen mixed Coturnix quail eggs and they should be here tomorrow!! I have an incubator and my brooder box is nearly set up.

I'm planning their coop and could use some advice. I have two raised 4x8 garden beds that I'd like to rotate a coop on top of. I'm sure that will be more than enough space for the number of quail I'll end up with, but I'm not sure about raising them directly on top of the bed (dirt, yard waste, and logs buried underneath). There is some grass growing in there and some weeds. I plan on designing the coop so that it can be lifted and moved to the ground or to the second garden bed. This will give me annual rotation between beds, but not more than that. Would this be a suitable environment? Or would they be better off with a wire bottom?

I'm also wondering how tall to make the pen??

Thanks for any help you can offer. :) I'm trying not to make TOO many mistakes starting out, although I know there will be some.

Hi there its a little funny we are also hatching coturnix and there suppose to hatch tomorrow there all moving around in there little eggs in the incubator we already have some quails and built a big cage for them thats about 4 feet high it also depends on how many quails you have all we did was take a garden box (don't put any dirt or yard waste in it) and took 4x4's cut them so they were at least 4 feet high make it as wide as you want its your choice on how high you would like it to be than we used chicken wire as the walls we also took some sticks and put them in the cage in different places cause Quails loves to perch, than we use saw dust as a bedding for them and they seem to love it!!
Hopefully this advice helps you!! good luck on your new baby quails and cage!!!

Back
Top Bottom