Designing coops

Another thought after looking at you plans is don't overdue nest boxes. 3-4 birds per box and they will eventually all lay in one!
Attached pic of my raised coop yours sounds a lot like mine. We have since added poop boards under roosts to make cleaning easier. Also added a roof to run. O
IMG_20200902_154351.jpg

Ours is 4x8 (to utilize size of lumber) 2 nest boxes for 6 hens. I like having a raised coop to add to run size. I'm amazed how much time they spend under there. I also used a tire for dust bath and they just use dirt in run! I love the solar fan idea.

Another thought after looking at you plans is don't overdue nest boxes. 3-4 birds per box and they will eventually all lay in one!
Attached pic of my raised coop yours sounds a lot like mine. We have since added poop boards under roosts to make cleaning easier. Also added a roof to run. OView attachment 3626697
Ours is 4x8 (to utilize size of lumber) 2 nest boxes for 6 hens. I like having a raised coop to add to run size. I'm amazed how much time they spend under there. I also used a tire for dust bath and they just use dirt in run! I love the solar fan idea.
Nice 🙂
We're just trying to build bigger nest boxes to accommodate the Brahmas we ended up with 🤣
If all the pullets we've gotten in the last month are actually pullets we'll have 20 hens. I can't be trusted in the feed stores (especially when they mark chicks half price 😂) my boyfriend isn't much help when there's one little chick that doesn't match the others. So now we gotta get more because that little yellow one is out of place in a bin of black and dark chipmunk stripes and we gotta get 4 because that's the purchase minimum.

Nice 🙂
We're just trying to build bigger nest boxes to accommodate the Brahmas we ended up with 🤣
If all the pullets we've gotten in the last month are actually pullets we'll have 20 hens. I can't be trusted in the feed stores (especially when they mark chicks half price 😂) my boyfriend isn't much help when there's one little chick that doesn't match the others. So now we gotta get more because that little yellow one is out of place in a bin of black and dark chipmunk stripes and we gotta get 4 because that's the purchase minimum.
chicken_math.jpg

So nest box is one big communal one nice. Good luck

The problem is the solution...

Fence in the side yard - weedeat just enough to put up temporary, electric poultry netting around all of it. If you don't want the netting for future use after this is done, resell it. It holds value well. While using netting, chickens will need to be moved into secure coop /run at night & also may have to clip one wing to keep them from flying over the net Fence (ask me how I know :lau).

The chickens will clean up/destroy all the grass. Then you can put up proper fencing for a run. Leave the ditch or level as time permits while using it. Can dump food scraps & yard waste into it - hidden from public view, but great for chickens to "drop into" & do "chickeny" things. Consider a hooped run made from CP & wire (not garden or chicken wire). Making it permanent w/ T-posts will keep wood from rotting out. If viewable from road, can be camouflaged.

Motel chicks - Blooie - WY - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/motel-chix.67240/

To make hoops wider, consider a base of cinder blocks stacked 2- 3 high. Can put T-posts in them to secure & either fill in w/ the dirt from the ditch or w/ stone/gravel.

Back
Top Bottom