Designing coops

JChipowsky

Songster
Jul 31, 2023
Conway SC
I found a floor plan design app and I used it to design my soon to be chicken coop. Although the fencing is railings 😂 at least I understand what I'm doing. We have to do everything in stages due to finances, so I am starting with the run, the coop will come in another month. Nothing huge, making sure I have 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet each in the run. I plan to add more space when part of our yard can get repaired. For now they will get extra roosts and possibly a floating shelf to hang out on.
I'll be putting in two doors for my own access to the coop (not counting the chicken's door and the side of the nest boxes) one will be smaller for basic access to the coop, the other will be bigger for cleaning easier.
The initial coop is 4' by 8', will be 2-3' off the ground and only 4' high at the side walls. I have protruding nest boxes that are 18" by 4'6". I plan to put vinyl flooring at the floor of the coop for ease of cleaning. I used common sizes of lumber to figure out my build and reduce cutting wherever possible.
I will fence under the coop to add to my run size, with a small door to give me access and so I can put a little dust bath bin underneath where it won't get wet.
I cannot dig the fencing into the ground (heavy clay soil that I can't physically dig through), but I'm going to flare it out by a foot and add bricks around the base of all the fencing areas to discourage digging under. I will also be fencing the top of the run and adding shade.
So, for now I've been working on the run. 10' by 8', 6'8" tall. I was doing pretty good... until I ran out of screws 😔
P.S. we only have .25 of an acre and we do have neighbors, so our chickens have to be contained, but we're far enough outside of city limits that we can have a rooster.

(Please don't mind the long grass our mower broke)
IMG_20230731_150407.jpg
IMG_20230731_153030_5.jpg

I used common sizes of lumber to figure out my build and reduce cutting wherever possible.
Excellent! Not only more time efficient, it's more material efficient, ie, cheaper.
I cannot dig the fencing into the ground (heavy clay soil that I can't physically dig through), but I'm going to flare it out by a foot
Can you up that to at least 18", or even better, 24"?
will be 2-3' off the ground
Figure that at some point, you will have to crawl under there to retrieve a chicken (that may not want to be caught) or some eggs. That would make me want to go 3 feet, if I could.

Excellent! Not only more time efficient, it's more material efficient, ie, cheaper.

Can you up that to at least 18", or even better, 24"?

Figure that at some point, you will have to crawl under there to retrieve a chicken (that may not want to be caught) or some eggs. That would make me want to go 3 feet, if I could.
I can probably do 18", 24" would be pushing my supplies a bit. 🤔 Though I could buy another 20' roll of mesh. I definitely want to do 3' off the ground, I've had to retrieve eggs from under my boyfriend's parents coop😂 I'm too old and fat for that.

I found a floor plan design app and I used it to design my soon to be chicken coop. Although the fencing is railings 😂 at least I understand what I'm doing. We have to do everything in stages due to finances, so I am starting with the run, the coop will come in another month. Nothing huge, making sure I have 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet each in the run. I plan to add more space when part of our yard can get repaired. For now they will get extra roosts and possibly a floating shelf to hang out on.
I'll be putting in two doors for my own access to the coop (not counting the chicken's door and the side of the nest boxes) one will be smaller for basic access to the coop, the other will be bigger for cleaning easier.
The initial coop is 4' by 8', will be 2-3' off the ground and only 4' high at the side walls. I have protruding nest boxes that are 18" by 4'6". I plan to put vinyl flooring at the floor of the coop for ease of cleaning. I used common sizes of lumber to figure out my build and reduce cutting wherever possible.
I will fence under the coop to add to my run size, with a small door to give me access and so I can put a little dust bath bin underneath where it won't get wet.
I cannot dig the fencing into the ground (heavy clay soil that I can't physically dig through), but I'm going to flare it out by a foot and add bricks around the base of all the fencing areas to discourage digging under. I will also be fencing the top of the run and adding shade.
So, for now I've been working on the run. 10' by 8', 6'8" tall. I was doing pretty good... until I ran out of screws 😔
P.S. we only have .25 of an acre and we do have neighbors, so our chickens have to be contained, but we're far enough outside of city limits that we can have a rooster.

(Please don't mind the long grass our mower broke)
View attachment 3595177View attachment 3595178
Won't need a mower once the chickens get it.

What are your plans for a roof?
Windows and other ventilation?

Anti-dig aprons can be put flat on the ground(after you mow that grass down low.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

making sure I have 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet each in the run.
Keep in mind this^^^ is a minimum, especially if you live in a harsh climate.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @JChipowsky
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1690894833125.png

What are your plans for a roof?
Windows and other ventilation?

Anti-dig aprons can be put flat on the ground(after you mow that grass down low.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Keep in mind this^^^ is a minimum, especially if you live in a harsh climate.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @JChipowsky
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3595962
I live in SC, northern coastal area (though I'm far enough inland to protect from the worst hurricanes).
I have a good bit of space I want to expand into, but our side yard needs to be leveled and cleared. The previous owners dug it all up doing repairs and we don't have the machinery to fix it and we've been trying to find someone who can get it fixed. Once that's done, their current run will be a scratch pen and there will be a second pen built to give them more room to run.
I'm going to be putting a roof panel over part of their current run to give shade and protect from rain. They will have a slant roof with the full side under the slant being vented (with a cover to close if it's cold) both 1/2 inch mesh and window screen to keep some of the bugs out. I plan to give them a solar powered fan to add ventilation and cool them some. I will also be freezing some two liter bottles that I'll place around during the worst heat.
I also updated my location.

I live in SC, northern coastal area (though I'm far enough inland to protect from the worst hurricanes).
I have a good bit of space I want to expand into, but our side yard needs to be leveled and cleared. The previous owners dug it all up doing repairs and we don't have the machinery to fix it and we've been trying to find someone who can get it fixed. Once that's done, their current run will be a scratch pen and there will be a second pen built to give them more room to run.
I'm going to be putting a roof panel over part of their current run to give shade and protect from rain. They will have a slant roof with the full side under the slant being vented (with a cover to close if it's cold) both 1/2 inch mesh and window screen to keep some of the bugs out. I plan to give them a solar powered fan to add ventilation and cool them some. I will also be freezing some two liter bottles that I'll place around during the worst heat.
I also updated my location.
Is the unrepaired part of the yard unsafe or you simply want it to be more convenient for you amid all the hard work? It only has to function, chickens don't care about how many sticks are in the yard or looks at all (they'll love to climb on dirt and wood piles to find tasty bugs). Fyi lol: iving in a city block hasn't kept my neighborhood from having roosters-- I've got an accidental 4 mo old RiR and counted at least 4 more crowing in each direction.

Wouldn't be too worried about providing a bin for dusting: unless it's big and concrete, they'll topple it over -- they'll take a dust bath anywhere that fancies 'em --I just dump the vacuum bags of dust (and dog hair) in the run, add wood ashes, dry sand, any soft dirt will do... and make 'em happy! Throw in an old rotted log with a bunch of roly-polies, ya know the tiny gray catepillars under rocks and logs...
I also plop frozen pop bottles into a cooler or bucket on 95+ summer days :thumbsup And if I got time, and feel cuddly I fill up a clean auto oil pan with the hose and give each girl a foot bath- only takes a couple splashes to cool them off. Or I spray them with a light mist-- they actually love stomping in mud. Hose off the coop roof if your garden hose reaches. It's fun to treat them as though they're little toddlers playing, aside from all the bickerin' too.
Don't fret about $$, use whatcha got!

Is the unrepaired part of the yard unsafe or you simply want it to be more convenient for you amid all the hard work? It only has to function, chickens don't care about how many sticks are in the yard or looks at all (they'll love to climb on dirt and wood piles to find tasty bugs). Fyi lol: iving in a city block hasn't kept my neighborhood from having roosters-- I've got an accidental 4 mo old RiR and counted at least 4 more crowing in each direction.

Wouldn't be too worried about providing a bin for dusting: unless it's big and concrete, they'll topple it over -- they'll take a dust bath anywhere that fancies 'em --I just dump the vacuum bags of dust (and dog hair) in the run, add wood ashes, dry sand, any soft dirt will do... and make 'em happy! Throw in an old rotted log with a bunch of roly-polies, ya know the tiny gray catepillars under rocks and logs...
I also plop frozen pop bottles into a cooler or bucket on 95+ summer days :thumbsup And if I got time, and feel cuddly I fill up a clean auto oil pan with the hose and give each girl a foot bath- only takes a couple splashes to cool them off. Or I spray them with a light mist-- they actually love stomping in mud. Hose off the coop roof if your garden hose reaches. It's fun to treat them as though they're little toddlers playing, aside from all the bickerin' too.
Don't fret about $$, use whatcha got!
The bad part of the yard was a very crooked ditch that has piles of clay dirt all around it, it's gotten so overgrown that we can't even get to that side of the house. The ditch is unnecessary as the whole property is on a slight hill.
I've been thinking about putting sand under the coop, both to help level the foundation and give a dry dust bath area.

The bad part of the yard was a very crooked ditch that has piles of clay dirt all around it, it's gotten so overgrown that we can't even get to that side of the house. The ditch is unnecessary as the whole property is on a slight hill.
I've been thinking about putting sand under the coop, both to help level the foundation and give a dry dust bath area.
Sorry so long to reply— KC’s heat has kept me too busy. It’d take a truck load of sand to do any good (washes away too fast). Sand will dry quickly after rain but also mixes completely into the soil. If it’s rock hard clay in dry weather but slick crap in rainy, add some farm grade lime to alter the soil Ph. If the run gets too mucky, throw in a good dusting with the chickens too. Like after they’re up for the night. (Lime is safe, helps soak up excess moisture) Sounds like it drives you nuts , wanna nicer yard —I understand! Can you weedeat that? Then let them have all the cut weeds. Hard to give usable advice here…
Hope they’re ok in this 💯 heat!

Sorry so long to reply— KC’s heat has kept me too busy. It’d take a truck load of sand to do any good (washes away too fast). Sand will dry quickly after rain but also mixes completely into the soil. If it’s rock hard clay in dry weather but slick crap in rainy, add some farm grade lime to alter the soil Ph. If the run gets too mucky, throw in a good dusting with the chickens too. Like after they’re up for the night. (Lime is safe, helps soak up excess moisture) Sounds like it drives you nuts , wanna nicer yard —I understand! Can you weedeat that? Then let them have all the cut weeds. Hard to give usable advice here…
Hope they’re ok in this 💯 heat!
We're hoping to get the yard fixed this fall, until then we're working on the coop bit by bit. We've already adjusted plans for the coop to be 8 by 8 with a 4 by 8 loft and notched out nest boxes. A total of 107 square feet in the coop. It also adds 64 square feet to the run, so that will be 144 square feet. There's lots more to get done, but we'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom