Coop Location

Indeed it's a lot to think about and you're smart to do the planning instead of finding out the hard way. The more chickens in a smaller space = more issues. I'm not sure how much space you have in total but you could also think about starting out with a smaller flock, like 3 or 4.... :idunno Also really like that you're building your own coop. So many first flocks start in small spaces with sub-par pre fab coops.....
How does that work, anyway?
Most places seem to have a minimum of 3, or 5, or more.

Do they mean 3 of one breed?
Newbie here.

Newbie here.
They mean total, not of one breed. I didn't even know about this minimum from local stores until recently because my local store does not have a minimum. Minimum for shipping makes sense because they need each other for warmth. You could check out the chick schedules via websites of your local stores.

Newbie here.
If you order chicks through the mail they often have minimum orders so there will be enough to keep each other warm or they charge you extra to add artificial heat. Different hatcheries have different rules.

Many feed stores that sell chicks have minimum orders, often six, to minimize some well-meaning person that doesn't have a clue from buying one or two chicks to give to kids (like on Easter) when the kids are not prepared for them, don't have a place or way to raise and keep them, or the parents just don't want them. A living animal needs certain things to survive and thrive. At least this is the reason Tractor Supply gave when they instituted this policy. I think part of it is that they need to make enough profit off the sale to pay for the cardboard box you carry home and to make all the handling and work in keeping them alive while in the store worth it to them.

You need to chat with the people at your feed store to see what their policy is.

If you order chicks through the mail they often have minimum orders so there will be enough to keep each other warm or they charge you extra to add artificial heat. Different hatcheries have different rules.

Many feed stores that sell chicks have minimum orders, often six, to minimize some well-meaning person that doesn't have a clue from buying one or two chicks to give to kids (like on Easter) when the kids are not prepared for them, don't have a place or way to raise and keep them, or the parents just don't want them. A living animal needs certain things to survive and thrive. At least this is the reason Tractor Supply gave when they instituted this policy. I think part of it is that they need to make enough profit off the sale to pay for the cardboard box you carry home and to make all the handling and work in keeping them alive while in the store worth it to them.

You need to chat with the people at your feed store to see what their policy is.
In my case, I plan to pick up three, or five, day old chicks at my local feed store, 1/2 an hour away.
I was hoping to get a mix though... one of this and one of that.

Do they all have to be the same breed?
Darn.

Do they sell chicks in open boxes at TS?
I have one about 2 hours away, but I'd never get them past the border.
Canada. 😄

In my case, I plan to pick up three, or five, day old chicks at my local feed store, 1/2 an hour away.
I was hoping to get a mix though... one of this and one of that.

Do they all have to be the same breed?
Call the feed store and see what their policies are. Each one is different. The people that know what that specific store policies are work at that feed store. They are not on this forum. You are in a different country than me or Sandy. A feed store across town could be different.

The only way to find out is to talk to them directly.

Would chickens eat flies if they could catch them?
Not in my experience. The best thing to do is add dry litter and use the fly traps. Honestly, we don’t usually have flies that bad. After it rains is when they’re the worst, but a fresh straw bale helps that quite a bit and they just never get horrible. Maybe it’s because we are so dry.

My thoughts are the closer to water and electric the better. Closer to the house the better as it is easier to walk out 20 feet in the winter than 100. I'd also want to be able to look out my window and see the chickens. I've really not noticed much smell, though mine are 100 feet away, but when I go out there, I don't notice a smell, maybe slight when it's wet.

Back
Top Bottom