Coop Location

Thank you for the reply! I will consider a smaller flock as well. I just have a really hard time narrowing down breeds :) And I totally agree, the pre made coops seem so small and they are expensive! We do have a 1/4 acre yard that I might have them free range on a bit in designated areas. I have a toddler that loves to roll around in the grass and I want to avoid him rolling through the chicken poop 😂
Chickens are one of those things that for all the work you do to do it right, it's good to go for the long haul. With that in mind, their production drops after a few years. So, you either have little production from pet chickens, or you cull some. So, by staggering your way up to full capacity, you always have some younger 'good layers.'

My first criteria for coop location is drainage. A wet area is unhealthy, can stink, is unpleasant, and often takes a lot of work. A dry location is much better in so many ways. So does water stand in either of those locations or does it drain away?

The rest of the stuff can be good to consider. What will be most convenient for you and less work? I want the coop convenient for water. Where will you store their feed? Can you get to the coop without wading through a swap if the weather sets in wet? I personally like mine close to my vegetable garden and fruit orchard so scraps and excess can more easily go to the chickens. I like mine out of sight of the neighbors but that's me liking my privacy. I don't want it too close to the house for the potential smell and noise but respect my neighbors.

So many possible things to consider but to me the overriding one is how hard is it to keep it dry.

Chickens are one of those things that for all the work you do to do it right, it's good to go for the long haul. With that in mind, their production drops after a few years. So, you either have little production from pet chickens, or you cull some. So, by staggering your way up to full capacity, you always have some younger 'good layers.'
That's really good advice to stagger to full capacity. I hadn't thought about it that way before but that makes perfect sense!

My first criteria for coop location is drainage. A wet area is unhealthy, can stink, is unpleasant, and often takes a lot of work. A dry location is much better in so many ways. So does water stand in either of those locations or does it drain away?

The rest of the stuff can be good to consider. What will be most convenient for you and less work? I want the coop convenient for water. Where will you store their feed? Can you get to the coop without wading through a swap if the weather sets in wet? I personally like mine close to my vegetable garden and fruit orchard so scraps and excess can more easily go to the chickens. I like mine out of sight of the neighbors but that's me liking my privacy. I don't want it too close to the house for the potential smell and noise but respect my neighbors.

So many possible things to consider but to me the overriding one is how hard is it to keep it dry.
These are all great points to think about! Currently the paver area is built up on about 6 inches of compact rock so there is great drainage. The side of the house does get more runoff from the house gutters and is overall more uneven/damp ground. The positives are definitely starting to add up for the paver area!

I agree noise can be a thing even from hens. I actually have placed coops and runs on pavers and bricks as a predator prevention. Plus that’s a nice level area for coop and pen build. The advice other folks gave is solid on keeping the area clean and smell down. I am in the middle of rebuilding and improving my chicken area. We have pavers to lay down next ourselves.
It would be nice to build our coop on top of the existing pavers and keep a border of pavers along the outside of the run to help with predator prevention like you said. It definitely saves a lot of prep work to use the paver patio that's already level and ready. I hope your rebuild is going well!

The paver location gets my vote, as long as it meets the minimum setback (as the first location does not). As long as the chickens stay in a contained run with appropriate litter (or you supervise when they're out, and scoop up poop as you go) there shouldn't be an issue with odor, disease, etc.

It would be nice to build our coop on top of the existing pavers and keep a border of pavers along the outside of the run to help with predator prevention like you said. It definitely saves a lot of prep work to use the paver patio that's already level and ready. I hope your rebuild is going well!
Partway there, hopefully if weather is good tomorrow I can get old privacy screen stuff torn down and put in the big pile away from the area, the n start dragging the big metal panels into the area and start building. I will see how it goes when I get off work tomorrow what I get done.

Welcome to BYC!

I would use the area between garden and play area. No matter where you put it, you’re going to have to maintain their space. It’s quite easy really; add straw and leaves and non poisonous yard clippings to their run, which will help cover the poop and allow the chickens themselves to mix everything up and make you some lovely compost for your garden. Having sun will help dry things out, so fewer flies, and your chickens will enjoy it on cold days. You can encourage them to scratch around in it if you toss some scratch or food out for them. They really are wonderful helpers.

Also useful are fly traps, the yellow sticky ones work best. I don’t use them every year, but some years flies are worse than others, it really depends on the rain.

vegetable garden and chicken coop go together naturally! easy to store coop compost and apply to yard. you may consider let the chickens into the garden during off season, they'd love that!

Back
Top Bottom