Coop Location

Pnwchicks

Chirping
Mar 11, 2024
Washington
Hello everyone!

I'm in Eastern Washington and starting a small backyard flock of 5 this Spring. I'm hoping for some input on coop location!

I originally planned to build on our side yard. It's a 15ftx25ft area between our house and our neighbors garage. My husband's project car is in the photo but that will be moved :) Technically, in our area, the coop needs to be 25' from a neighbors dwelling. It would be less than that from the neighbors garage so I would have to consider that. We do have a dog and this would seperate the "chicken yard" from the "dog yard". I feel like the chickens would be very well protected with the 6 ft fence and an enclosed run off the coop but I'm concerned about a lack of sunlight in the winter in this area. I would also not be able to see the chickens at all from our main yard or the house.

My second choice is on a patio area that is 12ftx20ft that separates our kids play area and my fenced garden. We would take out the pavers and build the coop/enclosed run in this area. I could see the coop from the house and would have easy access to water since the garden is right there. Throwing garden treats right over the fence would also be a nice bonus! My concern is that I've never had chickens but I've heard they are a bit messy and poop a lot. Since this coop would be right against my garden and just feet from my kids play area I'm concerned with odor, disease, pests, etc being in our common area.

Any input would be much appreciated! The build plan is a 4x8 coop with a 60 sq ft attached covered run.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20240311_102501.jpg
    20240311_102501.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 486
  • Screenshot_20240311_093247_Ring.jpg
    Screenshot_20240311_093247_Ring.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 56
Welcome to BYC!

I would use the area between garden and play area. No matter where you put it, you’re going to have to maintain their space. It’s quite easy really; add straw and leaves and non poisonous yard clippings to their run, which will help cover the poop and allow the chickens themselves to mix everything up and make you some lovely compost for your garden. Having sun will help dry things out, so fewer flies, and your chickens will enjoy it on cold days. You can encourage them to scratch around in it if you toss some scratch or food out for them. They really are wonderful helpers.

Also useful are fly traps, the yellow sticky ones work best. I don’t use them every year, but some years flies are worse than others, it really depends on the rain.

I could see either but you didn't mention how the neighbors will react to "noise?" Even without a Rooster, hens are noisey. When I got my first flock I had 1 acre. You'd think that would have been enough to not bother neighbors, but I positioned my coop/run very close to a fence and sure enough they all told me they could hear the noise very well. Also so neighbors will be concerned about your coop attracting rodents, but that's a different discussion. I'm very familiar with Eastern WA. and I think the shade the side yard provides is beneficial in the heat of summer. If not side yard, then make a coop plan for shade. The convenience of putting chicken waste in your garden area makes that spot a bonus. You might have to write up a list of pro's and con's to each area.... Either way, Welcome to BYC and ENJOY!

I could see either but you didn't mention how the neighbors will react to "noise?" Even without a Rooster, hens are noisey. When I got my first flock I had 1 acre. You'd think that would have been enough to not bother neighbors, but I positioned my coop/run very close to a fence and sure enough they all told me they could hear the noise very well. Also so neighbors will be concerned about your coop attracting rodents, but that's a different discussion. I'm very familiar with Eastern WA. and I think the shade the side yard provides is beneficial in the heat of summer. If not side yard, then make a coop plan for shade. The convenience of putting chicken waste in your garden area makes that spot a bonus. You might have to write up a list of pro's and con's to each area.... Either way, Welcome to BYC and ENJOY!
Thank you for the reply! I hadn't thought of noise but now that you mention it if we use the side yard the coop would be right up against our house and the bedrooms are on that end of the house. That will definitely be something to think about. We don't currently use our side yard for much....If I end up with the coop on the patio I could keep the side yard as an option for a shaded free range area on the hot days. There's so much to think about when planning! I'm glad I have a couple months to think it all out 😊

Welcome to BYC!

I would use the area between garden and play area. No matter where you put it, you’re going to have to maintain their space. It’s quite easy really; add straw and leaves and non poisonous yard clippings to their run, which will help cover the poop and allow the chickens themselves to mix everything up and make you some lovely compost for your garden. Having sun will help dry things out, so fewer flies, and your chickens will enjoy it on cold days. You can encourage them to scratch around in it if you toss some scratch or food out for them. They really are wonderful helpers.

Also useful are fly traps, the yellow sticky ones work best. I don’t use them every year, but some years flies are worse than others, it really depends on the rain.
Thank you for the info! I feel like the side yard might be a little too "out of sight, out of mind". I do prefer being able to watch them while I'm out working in the garden and doing yard work. And you make a great point about the compost, it would be convenient being so close to the garden!

Indeed it's a lot to think about and you're smart to do the planning instead of finding out the hard way. The more chickens in a smaller space = more issues. I'm not sure how much space you have in total but you could also think about starting out with a smaller flock, like 3 or 4.... :idunno Also really like that you're building your own coop. So many first flocks start in small spaces with sub-par pre fab coops.....

Indeed it's a lot to think about and you're smart to do the planning instead of finding out the hard way. The more chickens in a smaller space = more issues. I'm not sure how much space you have in total but you could also think about starting out with a smaller flock, like 3 or 4.... :idunno Also really like that you're building your own coop. So many first flocks start in small spaces with sub-par pre fab coops.....
Thank you for the reply! I will consider a smaller flock as well. I just have a really hard time narrowing down breeds :) And I totally agree, the pre made coops seem so small and they are expensive! We do have a 1/4 acre yard that I might have them free range on a bit in designated areas. I have a toddler that loves to roll around in the grass and I want to avoid him rolling through the chicken poop 😂

Thank you for the reply! I will consider a smaller flock as well. I just have a really hard time narrowing down breeds :) And I totally agree, the pre made coops seem so small and they are expensive! We do have a 1/4 acre yard that I might have them free range on a bit in designated areas. I have a toddler that loves to roll around in the grass and I want to avoid him rolling through the chicken poop 😂
All the more reason why it's really smart that you're building a RUN. I like to free range my chickens but I also like to give the property "a break," to grow back. 6 hens can decimate a small space in no time. I let mine free range fall through winter and then in spring when they kill fragile seedlings, they go the run until fall with random outings on my non garden side.....

I think we all have that problem of deciding what we really want lol. I’ve had a wide variety over the years.

Last edited:
I agree noise can be a thing even from hens. I actually have placed coops and runs on pavers and bricks as a predator prevention. Plus that’s a nice level area for coop and pen build. The advice other folks gave is solid on keeping the area clean and smell down. I am in the middle of rebuilding and improving my chicken area. We have pavers to lay down next ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom