Extra run for free ranging during the day

Chickenlandia, on YouTube.com suggests using fish netting for the roof. If you live near a fishing area you can pick it up for free.
When I began my chicken run, I found some poultry netting on Amazon that was really reasonable. My run is 40’x40’ so I purchased a net that was 50’x50’ with 1” square holes. If I remember correctly, the cost was less than $60. I wasn’t sure how durable that it was but, it is very strong for the price & size string. It will not only stop birds, but they tend to get trapped in the net & have to have assistance getting free. 😌😁

This is exactly what I was thinking but wasn't sure how to implement a human door. I plan on creating a connecting tunnel that connects their enclosed run to the new "play yard." What kind of netting did you use for the top and where did you get it?

you can get aviary netting from amazon, very inexpensive. we use 2x2x8 lumber tied to t-post (easies to do without having to dig!) with a flat piece of wood board on top to hold up the nettings. this is for top cover only, not fences.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G8G346/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

T posts and welded wire can be used to support netting .You can make the tunnels as short or tall as you like (trellis)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-09 10.38.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 10.38.59 AM.png
    871 KB · Views: 5
I want to build an extra play area for my chickens to free range that connects to their predator proof run/coop. It would need to have some sort of chicken wire ceiling to keep out a hawk that won't leave them alone. I considered buying an enclosed run from Amazon but the reviews aren't very positive for any of them. Plus, I figured I could make a much larger enclosure if I build it myself. Any suggestions?
same situation. you said it tho..... chicken wire and more chicken wire. if its for an outdoor play area, will you be home to check the chooks while they are in there? I have a little outdoor play area for free range and if I have to run inside, they can stay in there. I used trees, logs, brush to make a boma (sp). I wouldnt trust my play area if I planned on leaving the house but its a nice place for them to hang out and get safe when the hawks come. I also have a camera that feeds to a TV in my living room i'll look at that often too. Everyone wants to eat our chickens! My top hen is named Delicious and I cant blame the wildlife for wanting to taste them all! 🐔:love

I want to build an extra play area for my chickens to free range that connects to their predator proof run/coop. It would need to have some sort of chicken wire ceiling to keep out a hawk that won't leave them alone. I considered buying an enclosed run from Amazon but the reviews aren't very positive for any of them. Plus, I figured I could make a much larger enclosure if I build it myself. Any suggestions?
I'm doing the same. Those green, metal garden posts can work well with chicken wire. T-posts i think they are called. Bird netting across the top or place for arial coverage. This is an inexpensive way imo. I want it to look somewhat aesthetically pleasing as well. This is a wonderful way to keep the hens safe while you turn your back or have to run inside. I wouldn't leave the house with them in there tho. I live in a valley on the side of a mountain. Someone once said, its not a matter of IF a predator will come, rather when?! We're upping the anti tho, and adding wood posts and predator apron and heavy duty netting hopefully by the end of this season. Materials are sooo expensive. Take care, good luck! :highfive: 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom