Coop Location

Thank you for the info! I feel like the side yard might be a little too "out of sight, out of mind". I do prefer being able to watch them while I'm out working in the garden and doing yard work. And you make a great point about the compost, it would be convenient being so close to the garden!
You could always use the other further location for a future chicken location too! Build two! Yey! 🐓❤️ whatever you do, I hope your flock thrives! I have 7 hens close to my house and they are only noisy if they lay an egg which is a welcomed noise around here ❤️

I love your post!
I need to ask this too.

I've got two spots that are less than perfect, and I want to build a forever coop/run on a concrete base. (Concrete for the coop, and not the run? Not sure yet)

One is harder to see from the house, but if I trimmed the bottom of a 30' cedar, I'd have a good view from the kitchen.
This spot gets more sunlight in winter, and has shade trees for summer.
But it's at lower elevation, and may be more damp.
The neighbor has a big dog.
South side.

The other is across the driveway looking out from the front door, behind two pines, closer to the road. No deciduous trees for summer shade.
It looks level, and dry, but less protected from winter (North) winds, which seem relentless some days
It is closer to a water supply.
It's furthest from the neighbors big dog.
Northeast side.

I'm at a new place, trying to observe the climate, and the Kitchen View option sounds better for the chickens, assuming it doesn't flood there in a normal year. We didn't get much snow this year, so I don't know what to expect.

All opinions welcome!
Consider water mitigation if you get a ton of rain. Good luck! 👍🏻🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom