Building a coop with restraints

christinefedje

Hatching
Apr 3, 2024
My city recently started allowing backyard chickens (up to 6 hens). I plan on getting 4. I live in North Dakota, so harsh winters with lots of snow, below 0 temps and wind.

My husband, dad and father in law are willing to build me a coop and run. However, the city has put restraints on size.
  • Coop and run must not exceed seven feet in total height from adjacent ground level
  • Fencing for coops and runs may not exceed six feet feet in total height from adjacent ground level
  • (Coop) Must be either elevated with a clear open space of at least sixteen inches between the ground surface and grading/floor of the coop
  • The coop floor, foundation, and footings must be constructed using rodent resistant construction
  • (Run) Must not exceed ten square feet per chicken
I was thinking a 4x4 coop for 4 birds, but maybe 4x6 would be better? 2 nest boxes, tall enough to have adequate venting above their heads but not taller than the restrictions. I was hoping to have part of the run occupy the space under the coop for a nice shady spot but I'm not sure of that still counts for being 16in off the ground as in the ordinance. 40sqft of run space would mean, if I can use the space under and assuming a 4x4 coop, the run would extend an additional 6ft out of the coop and be 4ft wide. Maybe 6ft tall? Does it need to be that tall?

I keep finding plans I think will work then changing my mind. I want to do it right since it's not going to be cheap to build. I'd love any input or examples of similar sizes coops and runs.

My city recently started allowing backyard chickens (up to 6 hens). I plan on getting 4. I live in North Dakota, so harsh winters with lots of snow, below 0 temps and wind.

My husband, dad and father in law are willing to build me a coop and run. However, the city has put restraints on size.
  • Coop and run must not exceed seven feet in total height from adjacent ground level
  • Fencing for coops and runs may not exceed six feet feet in total height from adjacent ground level
  • (Coop) Must be either elevated with a clear open space of at least sixteen inches between the ground surface and grading/floor of the coop
  • The coop floor, foundation, and footings must be constructed using rodent resistant construction
  • (Run) Must not exceed ten square feet per chicken
I was thinking a 4x4 coop for 4 birds, but maybe 4x6 would be better? 2 nest boxes, tall enough to have adequate venting above their heads but not taller than the restrictions. I was hoping to have part of the run occupy the space under the coop for a nice shady spot but I'm not sure of that still counts for being 16in off the ground as in the ordinance. 40sqft of run space would mean, if I can use the space under and assuming a 4x4 coop, the run would extend an additional 6ft out of the coop and be 4ft wide. Maybe 6ft tall? Does it need to be that tall?

I keep finding plans I think will work then changing my mind. I want to do it right since it's not going to be cheap to build. I'd love any input or examples of similar sizes coops and runs.
Always go with the large size. I am guessing they aren't allowed to roam your yard. (if it is fenced)

I was hoping to have part of the run occupy the space under the coop for a nice shady spot but I'm not sure of that still counts for being 16in off the ground as in the ordinance.
Hard to say if that counts as run space in the restrictions. Does the set up need to be inspected, permitted or otherwise signed off by city/county? If no, you might be able to use that extra space without anyone noticing??
if I can use the space under and assuming a 4x4 coop, the run would extend an additional 6ft out of the coop and be 4ft wide. Maybe 6ft tall? Does it need to be that tall?
If the coop is 4x4 wouldn't that extend it out 4', not 6'?

I'd max out height of both coop (for ventilation/air volume) and run, not for the chickens so much but more for your access and convenience. Cleaning or maintaining a run where you can't stand upright is a real pain in the back.

Maximum of 10sq ft/bird? That's generally the recommended minimum! I would build the run for 6 chickens if the regulations are the maximum space allowed. If anyone asks just tell them you plan on adding two more later. I would also make the coop as large as you can if the city is limiting the amount of space in the run.

Back
Top Bottom