Designing new coop, need advice

I have (2) 8' top bars running crosswise on one end (side by side)and an 8' roosting bar running lengthwise on the other.This only works in a raised coop with a door in the front that opens downward

Last edited:
Tractor Supply didn't have chicks yet, but a local feed store did. We rounded up these 8 chicks. Went for a mix of RI red, dominique, barred rock, buff orp, lavender wyandotte, and easter egger. :wee

We've already named the RI red "Karen" because she won't stop asking to see my manager. Definitely the loudest one that won't shut up. :D
signal-2024-02-18-153446_002.jpeg
signal-2024-02-18-163502_002.jpeg

so cute! @Ronon I would suggest putting the feed and water on bricks in the brooder to keep it a bit higher than the shavings. chicks will fill those with poop and shavings really fast otherwise. welcome to the world of chickens! it's so fun and a big responsibility to have these sweet animals counting on us.
So funny :lol: that's exactly what my Mom did a few minutes later

A consideration is to build a predator proof run and have a convertible roosting area. I don't have very many good shots of our old coop back in the suburbs, but it was a 12x12 run with a 4x4 area in one corner that was converted to a roosting area. During the winter, I had removable walls (just some hardie plank siding with a couple of 2x2s on the back to hold it together) and a sheet of plywood that was covered in vinyl to act as a poop drawer.

During the summer it allowed for the birds to fly to/from the roosting area (the roost area had permanent external walls to prevent raccoons from reaching in and grabbing the hens) and my nest box was a secondhand dog house that i hinged the lid on.

If I were to do it again, I'd have made the nest box accessible from outside, but otherwise it worked very well for us in the PNW.

Attachments

• DSC_0279.JPG
    DSC_0279.JPG
    686.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom