Desperate for some advice on vent prolapse (photos)

You really need to go buy some calcium citrate with vitamin D or give Tums or other calcium right away to try and save her. It will help to pass the egg, and help the prolapse go back in. 600 mg daily of calcium is the goal. Look for an opening in the vent to try and lubricate the egg out.
Thanks for your reply and advice, it's much appreciated. I'll see if I can buy some Tums now and will do my best to lubricate the egg out.

We had one of our girls prolapsed on her first egg. It was hanging out and after some Epsom salt bath soaks, we managed to gently help her pass the egg, but it was already out of her body, just still in the duct. Once the egg was out it was a matter of reducing swelling to help her keep everything inside. This was 8 days of soaks twice a day. As time went on we started getting more and more desperate and the treatment tries got more and more unorthodox. Raw honey was literally the only thing that reduced swelling. Nothing else helped. She would still push so I was trying to figure out how to get her to pucker instead of push. I decided to try rubbing an ice cube around her vent after everything was pushed back in and it worked great. I would apply ice around the vent for 10 seconds then give her a 30 second rest. I repeated this and could see her puckering instead of pushing. She went on to lay normal and didn't reoccur. Don't give up on her as this is very correctable.

Another vet source is Airvet for virtual vet visits. They literally saved our duck's life a couple weeks ago because noone within 2 hours would see our girl. They connected us to an avian vet and it only cost $40!

Praying for a speedy recovery!!!

Just wanted to give everyone a little update. She was taken to the vets this morning and it turns out that the egg had moved out of the cloaca and into a different tissue and this is what had prolapsed. Because of this there was nowhere for the egg to go and it was completely encased outside of her body.
The vet has made an incision to remove the egg, cleaned up the area and given her some painkillers. She's not out of the woods yet but at least she stands a bit of a chance now.
Thank you everyone for all your helpful comments! We're feeling a lot more prepared should we ever have to deal with a prolapse again (😩)

Just wanted to give everyone a little update. She was taken to the vets this morning and it turns out that the egg had moved out of the cloaca and into a different tissue and this is what had prolapsed. Because of this there was nowhere for the egg to go and it was completely encased outside of her body.
The vet has made an incision to remove the egg, cleaned up the area and given her some painkillers. She's not out of the woods yet but at least she stands a bit of a chance now.
Thank you everyone for all your helpful4 comments! We're feeling a lot more prepared should we ever have to deal with a prolapse again (😩)

Glad you could get her to the vet and get the egg out. Thanks for the update and I sure hope she heals up fast and resume her little happy chicken life!

Back
Top Bottom