Desperately seeking building skills

Chickenchic49

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2019
I really want to learn the skills necessary to build a coop , but all my Google searches for local classes have turned up a lot of nothing. Home Depot and Lowes don’t seem to have any useful classes. Ideas?

Then start by looking through the coop pages here on BYC. Some have good photos of the process and this will start you thinking about what goes where.... and how things fit together.

Once you have an idea of the kind of coop you want....

Then look up how to videos piece meal...

So... "properly setting fence posts"

And "how to use a hammer" and "how to use a power drill"

But.... remember that a good coop is really just a shed.... there are bound to be "how to build a shed" books at the library or videos on you tube. :idunno

What kind of coop are you thinking of making? Also adding your general location to your profile will help us answer questions better, because we will have an idea of what your weather is like.

You can learn just about everything from instructables. It's not hands on but they usually have very good directions.
https://www.instructables.com/

I understand you want to build your own coop. I do think you need to take a step back. If someone wanted to bake a wedding cake but has never boiled water much less an egg. I think it would be clear a wedding should not be their first task. I think if you start with the idea that down the road you want to build your own, but for now you want to learn the tools etc. I assume you want a coop now... in that case find a friend, neighbor, who can build a coop with the condition you want to help and learn and not just watch. My father was an excellent carpenter. I grew up thinking that guys should just know things about tools. In my 50s I started wanting to do woodworking. I found out that many men were like me and knew nothing about power tools etc and when they retire they start from scratch learning wise. Young or old dont be shy to find that person to build your coop and let them know you know zero and part of the deal is they let you learn. Good luck!

I really want to learn the skills necessary to build a coop , but all my Google searches for local classes have turned up a lot of nothing. Home Depot and Lowes don’t seem to have any useful classes. Ideas?

A good place to start if your looking to build a shed type of coop is to get a book from a home improvement place on building sheds.

Add your location to your profile as that makes a difference in the answers you get.

You need some basic tools to build with, a saw of some sort, a power screw driver or hammer and a speed square to mark cut lines.

The most simple way to build a coop is to use cattle panels and build a hoop coop.

JT

Back
Top Bottom