Destructive Chickens

Old post, but thought I'd add my experience.

I have 4 chickens and they all love to destroy our yard, especially little seedlings - they just trample over them and rip them out of the ground; they don't eat them or anything, they're just bent on causing as much destruction as possible!
somad.gif
. They have a 13m² pen, so we pen-bound them for a while. We feel bad sometimes though because they're always looking for a way to get out (even though they haven't found a way out in the 2 years we've had them... they're not the most intelligent of beasts, and mighty selfish).

We let them out on the weekends for supervised visits, but we've had to fence off a lot of areas to stop their wake of destruction from reaching vulnerable plants.

A year ago I set up an automatic PIR motion-triggered watering system which was a lot of fun. I set it up in one particular garden patch where the girls would go rampant and destroy everything in the patch. It would start madly spraying water throughout the patch and I must say it worked a treat to keep them out. It worked well in that the patch was never not well-watered! They're stubborn creatures though with memories like a sieve, so when I turned it off, they were back in it without hesitation...

I'm not sure if i'll own chickens again once my birds die.. they're too stupid and selfish for my liking
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom