1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Determining a wyandotte bantam pullets age

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by backforty, Nov 1, 2008.

1. backforty

backforty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    central WI
    Hello everyone, I just joined this website and have a ? or 2. I bought 2 buff columbian wyandotte bantam hen 3 wks ago. 1 is from last year and is molting and the other is a pullet and doesnt lay yet:/ The ? is I have no idea how old the pullet is. I dont have a whole lot of chicken experience. She is about the same size as the hen but isnt filled out and her wattle is about half the size of hers and not red yet. Ive never had bantams before but have had standard wyandottes and they laid during the winter. Will the bantams lay in the winter as well? That is when the pullets ready and the hens done molting? Also I dont remember how long molt lasts?
    Its sure fun having chickens again even without the eggs! I love watching them and their antics!
    Thanks

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I am also new but my bantams started laying at about 6 months and are still laying. I don't know if they will continue as it gets really cold in Montana.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Mine layed all last winter and it gets really cold here in MN. Mine are also molting right now and egg production came to a screeching hault (sp?) I am not sure how long molts last some chickens are different from others but mine have been doing this for the past 2 weeks or so.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I have a standard gold-laced wyandotte, 16 weeks today, and her comb and wattles are all light pink still. Some of my other breeds' comb and wattles are turning red and growing, but not hers. Maybe this will help determine your baby's age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by