Determining a wyandotte bantam pullets age

backforty

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 29, 2008
central WI
Hello everyone, I just joined this website and have a ? or 2. I bought 2 buff columbian wyandotte bantam hen 3 wks ago. 1 is from last year and is molting and the other is a pullet and doesnt lay yet:/ The ? is I have no idea how old the pullet is. I dont have a whole lot of chicken experience. She is about the same size as the hen but isnt filled out and her wattle is about half the size of hers and not red yet. Ive never had bantams before but have had standard wyandottes and they laid during the winter. Will the bantams lay in the winter as well? That is when the pullets ready and the hens done molting? Also I dont remember how long molt lasts?
Its sure fun having chickens again even without the eggs! I love watching them and their antics!
Thanks

I am also new but my bantams started laying at about 6 months and are still laying. I don't know if they will continue as it gets really cold in Montana.

Mine layed all last winter and it gets really cold here in MN. Mine are also molting right now and egg production came to a screeching hault (sp?) I am not sure how long molts last some chickens are different from others but mine have been doing this for the past 2 weeks or so.

I have a standard gold-laced wyandotte, 16 weeks today, and her comb and wattles are all light pink still. Some of my other breeds' comb and wattles are turning red and growing, but not hers. Maybe this will help determine your baby's age?

Back
Top Bottom