DEVASTATED AND EXTEMELY PI**ED OFF!! (Rats)

Best of luck with your little guy/gal. I had yo change my own thinking about pests in the last week. I have lost three hens and one is in isolation recovering from a 3 inch gash/ tare on her side due to a fox. Now its game on between them and me and I plan on winning.

Thank you everyone. He's doing well today also. His will to live is such an inspiration! We set rat poison out last night and the rats took it. I'll put some more out tonight and hopefully they will be a non factor soon!!

You are so right! It's crazy what lengths we will go through to take care of our babies. Human and animals alike. It's like my mommy instinct is on overdrive lol

I have never in my life been so relieved that any animal has died as I am today. The rats finally are gone. Found them today in my lanai. I finally have my lanai back!! I feel kinda guilty for feeling this good about it. I'm scared to put the silkies and bantam survivor back out there. I think I'm going to wait till this weekend and make sure I see no signs of any rats first. Thank You guys for all your support.

Last edited:
Whoa, what an inspirational chick!
I personally love domesticated rats, they're one of my favourite animals. I've owned 9 thus far but got too busy with school to keep up with stimulating them. They're a step below dogs, if you treat them right. All the same, I haven't hesitated to put out mouse and rat snap traps in our home and the chicken coop. It's no different than any other domestic or feral animal. You wouldn't hesitate to shoot or take action against a coyote or a violent feral dog; those aren't the same as your family mutt. Don't get em confused hehe.

As others have said, make sure you clean up that poison and their droppings real good before you let your chickens out. Having a hen eat that would be a nightmare.

Even if a chicken ate the same full dose that the rat ate ... It would probably just get sick ... Most chickens are much larger than most rats ... One little poop won't hurt it!

All I know is if a cat ate a poisoned rat it would die. I had it happen to me more than once. I poisoned some rats and didn't know there were neighborhood cats as I never saw any and they ended up dead as well. I like to be safe rather than sorry now.

Back
Top Bottom