Devastated... Lost 7 of 13 chicks last night.

Pics
Raccoon got in and killed all my chickens but one, one night. Lucky, the one that survived, would not come off her perch until I got more hens. That was the saddest hen I have ever seen. She was a year old and the new hens I got were 18 weeks but once they got their pecking order together, they have all done well. They have gotten used to you being their Mama, please just get some to go with the ones you already have. Chickens are social animals
and band together well. They will get over their loss and adjust better with more chicks.
We bought a replacement hen who’s flock was killed off. She was the last one. Her name is Ellie. She is the hen in my profile pic.She’s a Easter Egger. Person we got her from sold her so she could be with other birds since she wouldn’t go outside.

I am sorry for your loss. I want to give you some encouragement regarding your dog. I had a couple of young rescue dogs that killed chickens..and they say one a killer always a killer. Well because of that I found homes for those two however when it happened with another young dog I was particularly attached to. I kept the dog and she got over the inclination with my vigilance and training. She never killed agin and in fact turned out to be good around my hens. When one of them or a pet rabbitt escaped 'Snookens' would race after them and gently put her paw on the escapee and hold them until I got to them and put them back in the cage. So some dogs can learn and overcome their natural tendencies.

This is my first go around with chicks or any poultry for that matter. Long story short I trusted my dog too much and last night at 1:30am her curiosity got the best of my new and first flock. I received the 13 chicks at 24 hours old, I have spent the last 2 1/2 weeks, learning about raising chicks and learning MY chicks. Two different brooders, on Monday I built an outdoor "playpen", two with pasty butt the first week, needless to say I was very invested. I had a roll of three foot high hardware cloth that I would roll across the brooder at night but I used it for my chick playpen. My dog awoke from my sons room and went into the living room, where I have been keeping the brooder (a 110 gallon trough with all the bells and whistles), and within seconds she jumped in, I heard the commotion and flew out of bed and screamed at her and she jumped out, but in that 30-45 seconds 7 of my chicks died. I only had one Silkie who in the first day I thought was going to die, then she had pasty butt day three and four, but was starting to look strong and healthy, she didn't make it. I also had a red Bielefender, I believed him to be a rooster and he was my favorite of all time, he is gone also. I'm not sure why my first response is to come on here and tell you all my horrible experience. Just needing to vent maybe.
As I write I also have noticed my 5 remaining chicks seem to be sleeping a lot more today than usual. Can they feel the loss? Can this effect them?
I am also wondering if I should try to get some new chicks to replace my loss. Wondering if I should give my five remaining to some friends that have been looking for some and get a whole new set so they are all the same age. I have learned my lesson with my dog and understand she cannot be trusted with poultry. We have goats and she has no problem with them. And she has never had an issue with another dog, or people, or children. I have so many questions and feelings. I have guilt because deep down I know I let my birds down.
Be easy on yourself. Life has a way of throwing boulders infront of us to slow us down and or discourage us. Your pup probably really didn't mean to kill those chicks if he was use to being around your other animals. This is my 1st year with ducks. Whwn i brought those little guys home I made sure to introduce them to my 2 dogs and my out door cat. This way they knew they were part of the pack. This is the 1st time any had been around anything other than themselves. We just moved onto these almost 5 acres 4.5 years ago. Before this they were suburban dogs & cats. So it was important for them to know these little fuzzy critters were part of the family. Bear my little cockapoo stood guard over them, while Elsie my 1/2 swiss/lab was curious but still careful. Now the ducks know not to fear them and Bear makes sure others don't hurt his feathered buddies.
But stuff still happens that makes us think we are unworthy or horrible people. I just went thru this on Easter Sunday evening. We were unloading wood, I was extremely tiered. We always ask where everyone is before we even get into the truck or car. I thought i had seen Elsie head up to the house, Bear jumped into the truck with me. I moved the truck just a few feet when I felt a bump then a horrible yelp...I immediately knew what it was and my heart almost burst into a billion pieces. How could I do such a horrible thing and not be more careful. We live in a remote area so closes truama or even emergency vet is a little over an hour 1/2. Elsie has a fractured femur has a lot of screws and wires to hold the plate in. It's been a very tough pill to swollow. The guilt and horrible feeling is still with me. I see her and sometimes just break down in tears that I have this beautiful sweet dog confinded so that she can heal. She is doing extremely well considering how bad it was. But the thought that the out come could have been so much worse still haunts me but thank God it was. I know I couldn't have lived with myself it it was the worst. It's especially tough right now with now being able to have friends over or talk to my fellow classmates in Elsie class. But as people keep telling me, it was a mistake.
You just made a mistake, your pup made a mistake. We have to put on our best foot forward and learn. You now know you won't do that again and will come up with a better solution. Maybe your pup didn't mean to even hurt them. Her jumping in and that cover coming down on those tiny babies might have been thier demize. Your pup didn't understand what was happening and maybe panic. So be easy on yourself...I'm trying to be. But don't give up. See how the others chicks do, order more and if your tank is big enough maybe put a divider in u til the others are a little older. Hang in there, we all learn from our mistakes, I sure have. Never assume anything when it comes to our pets.

I've lost chicks and chickens to a variety of things .Mostly things I had no control over and others that I brought on myself. Like forgetting to close the coop at night. I know that I have fox, dogs and hawks to blame for some things,but over all things have gone well when starting out with chicks. I have more problems when their grown. Now I'm starting a new adventure. I'm raising ducklings and ring neck pheasants their about 2 weeks apart in age. I have a run for them to stay in so nothing can get to them. Hopefully you want have any more trouble from the dog. I've had the same problem before,but my dogs now know their limits.

Had it happen more than once and it's devastating each time. Unfortunately, if you didn't grow up in this life you learn most of the lessons the hard way. I had a couple of gorgeous baby Canadian geese that I accidentally drowned due to the water being too deep and them not being able to get out of the swimming area. I was crushed. I hate the thought of something being terrified or suffering. Short of a Pyrahneese or shepherd dog no breed can be trusted alone with animals, none. No matter how trained, left unattended their instincts can and usually will kick in.

Sorry to hear about your lose. Having a hatchery maybe i can give you some help and understanding. If chicks are within 4 weeks of each others hatch they can be put together after a short breakin time. They will catch up. I recently had a problem with a hatch and they weren't thriving, what i did is give them each a few drops of buttermilk from an eye dropper which gives them probiotics and nutrition. Selling my straight run chicks of heritage breeds at $1.50 ea. to help new homesteader get started I've found and continue to learn many new things. Hope all goes well for you.

Sorry don't agree... I raise aussies best help I've ever had on the farm. Yes they have killed when not sure of what they are doing but I have always been able to train them to not touch MY animals. Once a dog we aquired killed 9 embden geese and 10 breeding hens. After wearing a died chicken around his neck for 30 days and being told bad- bad for that time he would look the other way when a chicken or duck or goose came a round, but boy could he bring in the groundhogs from the fields and gardens. 75 the first year and 126 the second. Presently my aussies although they did kill a hen and learned that it was mine. In 2019 brought in 109 groundhogs not counting raccon and other vermin, and so far this year have brought in 14 groundhogs, 2 skunks, 9 oppussum, and 2 muskrats all that I told them that these animals where theirs. One hen that became a lesson was worth the protection from the coyotes, fox, raccoon, weasel, and other garden vermin that I have around my farmette all for the worth of one hen.

Back
Top Bottom