Development or genetic issue?

PopoMyers

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Aug 19, 2020
Kitsap, WA
Gertrude is a Welsummer, whose tail has never come up. She is one of the bottom of the pecking order. At 25 wks., she acts normally, eats and poops just fine. Many of her tail feathers were still not fully opened, and in their sheaths. I scratched off most of them. Has anyone seen anything like this? Her comb also seems under developed for her age, comparing her to the other girls. Should I be concerned yet?

Attachments

• 16110947066461736309981343022338.jpg
    16110947066461736309981343022338.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 16110948850648892821450844256965.jpg
    16110948850648892821450844256965.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 14
Gertrude is a Welsummer, whose tail has never come up. She is one of the bottom of the pecking order. At 25 wks., she acts normally, eats and poops just fine. Many of her tail feathers were still not fully opened, and in their sheaths. I scratched off most of them. Has anyone seen anything like this? Her comb also seems under developed for her age, comparing her to the other girls. Should I be concerned yet?
I don't know about the feather thing, but I have a pullet that hatched with her tail feathers turned sharply to the left. There's nothing wrong with my girl, just a quirk. Hopefully that's the same with yours!

What's the situation like on the roosts at night? If she's low in the pecking order, maybe she's always being harassed on the roost? That's when my girls do a lot of preening. Have you seen her take a dust bath? It's probably too cold now, but if you ever get a warm day - get her tail wet, see if she takes care of it then!

What's the situation like on the roosts at night? If she's low in the pecking order, maybe she's always being harassed on the roost? That's when my girls do a lot of preening. Have you seen her take a dust bath? It's probably too cold now, but if you ever get a warm day - get her tail wet, see if she takes care of it then!
I haven't watched them at night, but it seems pretty peaceful in there at night. The girls still are taking wet sandy dirt baths, despite it being in the 40's and damp most of the time. They were out in the rain today.

Curious that she's not preening her feathers.
The rest of her feathers are fine. Not normal, I'm guessing, since the rest of the girls feathered out with no problems. I'll have to observe her more closely

I'll certainly have to try that when it's warmer, if they are still like that. Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom