Development question, please help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rocky Top Chick, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    My eggs are scheduled for lockdown on Wednesday, however I think they may be falling a little behind on development. When I candeled them last night you could see that a chick was inside, however, there is still quite a bit of space at the bottom of the egg. The air pocket looks great, but as I stated still some space at the bottom. Is this normal or are they slow? There was movement of something so I believe they are alive. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

They sound good to me.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
  4. Rocky Top Chick

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yes I have, but they seem fuller than mine.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

This is one of the reasons I so seldom candle ANY of my incubating eggs. I figure if they don't stink, they can go to lockdown. I also wait until day 25 before I give up on eggs. I don't like worrying about how much development I do or do not see.

Sometimes I candle, and remove totally clear eggs at lockdown. Or blood rings. But most of the time, I only candle enough eggs to see ANY development, then I stop, satisfied SOMETHING is growing. If I don't see any on Day 12' the first time I'll even try to candle, as I go through eggs, I will give up at the 4th egg and just put 'em all back into the 'bator and just forge forward. I don't want to be disappointed more than once.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  6. Rocky Top Chick

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I think from this point forward I am only going to candle a couple of times myself. This can make a sane person crazy !!!!!

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Very true! I have only hatched once and I kept reading about other people seeing chicks moving around in the eggs, veining etc. I think I might have seen veining in some of the lighter brown eggs but nothing in my green eggs. Never saw any movement so I drove myself crazy thinking that I had a bator full of duds. Actually, definitely at day 18 you can tell the difference between a non-starter and one that at least started developing. The only eggs that didn't go into lockdown were the definite "clears" and even then I wound up with one in lockdown that never even started. Just don't want to take a chance on culling an egg that is growing just fine. I agree with Linda, better to be safe and let them go into lockdown than sorry! Good luck on your hatch!

8. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Quote:Yeah, I like the sound of that too. I have a natural tenancy to overcomplicate things, so working a "simple plan" seems the most reasonable. If the egg is full of chicken at day 18 in it stays. If, on day 18, it is clear and/or stinks.........Adios. Even that is more complex than what a broody would do......Unless somebody has Broody with thumbs and a flashlight [​IMG]

9. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    What kind of lights are some of you using? I have an ultra-bright LED handheld one and I never have a problem judging eggs and I'm totally new at it. I love doing it and probably do it too much because I just love seeing the little duck feet kick or the chicken beaks start pushing against the air cell. I've had to be a good girl and not do it at all this clutch, because I love seeing the development so much.

It must be the light or something.

And the eggs sound on track to me. [​IMG]

10. Rocky Top Chick

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I also use a LED small flashlight, but I guess I don't really know what to look for. Although I must say that I am getting better. I only began with six eggs, two were not fertile, and 2 quit. I did open those eggs and saw what appeared to be little sea horses so I am learning tons. Only have two left and they are white eggs so it has been easier to see inside.

Thanks,
    D.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by