Developmental differences?

Twisty

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
I have four hen (Isa Browns). They are 25 weeks old now. One has been laying each morning for approximately 3 weeks now, one started 5 days ago but only two eggs in total on alternate days ( I guess she's just getting her little body settled in still) but the other two are not showing any signs at this stage. We have one rooster and he's not interested in mating with the two who aren't laying, somewhat interested in the one thats just started and really interested in the regular girl. They are all from the same clutch and we have raised them since a day old.
Is this just how it goes in the beginning?

I have four hen (Isa Browns). They are 25 weeks old now. One has been laying each morning for approximately 3 weeks now, one started 5 days ago but only two eggs in total on alternate days ( I guess she's just getting her little body settled in still) but the other two are not showing any signs at this stage. We have one rooster and he's not interested in mating with the two who aren't laying, somewhat interested in the one thats just started and really interested in the regular girl. They are all from the same clutch and we have raised them since a day old.
Is this just how it goes in the beginning?
Yep, exactly...generally a rooster will not mount the females that aren't laying.

Usually a cockerel will mount anything he can get his claws and beak on, sounds like maybe you have a gentleman cockerel.

The pullets won't all start at the same time even tho they are the same age, nor will every bird lay every day even as they mature tho Isa's are production birds and may lay every day after things get synced in...takes up to a month or so before the old egg factory is all tuned up.

Thank you all for the replies - thats what I was thinking. Yes 'Chicken Juggler' he is a bit of a gentleman, but he is only just hitting his straps too
wink.png

Thank you all for the replies - thats what I was thinking. Yes 'Chicken Juggler' he is a bit of a gentleman, but he is only just hitting his straps too
wink.png
If he is already differentiating between layers and not, that's huge.
When the oats start flowing(4-5 months), they usually start chasing and head grabbing at everything.....I'd bet he's beyond that point at 6 months.

He really is a funny rooster - I think he's just trying things out being still young. He fluffs around me when I let him out, but not really agressively, just a dance, more like because he thinks thats what he's supposed to do, then he picks up a stick and bites is a few times then runs away! With anyone else he runs sideways at them, stops, pecks twice , quite gently, at the offered boot/shoe then runs away! Its all smoke and mirrors. We just pick him up and he's happy for a cuddle until we decide to put him down, he just snuggles in and waits. Any way - so far he really is a good rooster and protects his flock well. I'll let you know what the story is in another month or so....

Back
Top Bottom