Deworm or Not to Deworm

RollTideChicken

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
North Alabama
My birds range from 6 months to 1.5 years in age. They've never been dewormed and I thought since egg production is all but done why not. But then after researching I find that some say deworm every 6 months and others say not to at all unless there is evidence. To be honest I've not seen any worm sign (Dune ref) so should I or shouldn't I?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

I'm in your same situation. A breeder suggest to deworm even if I can't see any sign. I took a medicine to give in the water but now I'm waiting as they are laying and I think it will be a pity throw away eggs for a week...

I have never wormed a Bird...The best is to only do so if needed?
If all your Birds are healthy, no reason too in my opinion.

X2

This question can often get into "heated arguments", but it is a fact that all chickens will at some time have some internal parasites that cause no illness - worming without high infestation or signs of stress from such can lead to resistance to worming meds.:oops:

Sorry but I got a giggle out of this. I know this is a serious matter but your first two responses were such totally different opinions. That’s pretty common on here, you can get some widely different opinions on practically anything. We all have our own reasons for which way we go about this. Those reasons are valid to the person going that route.

My general philosophy is to not treat for anything unless I have something to treat. I regularly butcher my chickens throughout the year, I’ll put some cockerels in the freezer next week. I always open some intestines looking for roundworms or tapeworms. I haven’t found any yet so my chickens have never been treated for roundworms or tapeworms. Whenever I handle a chicken I check the vent area for mites or lice. I regularly check at night for roost mites. Since I’ve never found any I haven’t treated them yet. That could change today. If I did regularly find something my methods would change.

It’s a good question, trying to determine what other people do and why. Ultimately you will have to develop your own philosophy and management methods because this is just opinion. You will have to decide what is right for you.

Back
Top Bottom