Dewormed and Corid done-new sick hen

Cedargrove

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
My sick hen from last week better but I have another sick one now. All were given valbazen and will be repeated this weekend. Corid ended Monday.
This one is wanting to just stand or lie down, head pulled instead of neck extended. She gets on roost at night in kennel, she’s drinking water with rooster booster, she had some eggs with nutrition yeast this morning. She will walk around and peck the ground a little (she’s alone in the tractor now) but mostly sedentary.
Not laying yet (a maran approx 16-18 ish weeks-I got her about a month ago.
Don’t feel anything weird with her crop-I actually don’t feel or see much at all there
Nothing I can see on her skin looks suspicious
Poops are Normal consistency but green-tinged
Comb very pale
Was told by my son that she seems to have some leg weakness he observed when she was walking last evening
I was giving her layer feed since the place I got her had already started that but I reverted to 20% flock feed two days ago

I have a bottle of b complex plus c in my grocery order this morning. Should I try that? Is the c ok? That’s all they had. If so, how much and how often?
What else could I do for her?? Please help if you can! Thank you!!!!

Yes, give her the b complex, vitamin c is fine for them. Also can you give her some raw yolk? The green tinge means she's saying starving herself. Do you have any black soldier grubs or meal worms? I would stuff some into her beak, one grub at a time.

Yes, give her the b complex, vitamin c is fine for them. Also can you give her some raw yolk? The green tinge means she's saying starving herself. Do you have any black soldier grubs or meal worms? I would stuff some into her beak, one grub at a time.
Thank you! The poop is more runny now than before-still green and white but when in the tractor i know she’s eating grass.
She ate a cicada the size of a hummingbird this morning and seemed to throughly enjoy killing her own breakfast😂 she also had a bit of coconut oil (someone recommended that for any potential blockage)-I think she’d eat an entire jar if I let her. She only pecked at her eggs this morning -they were scrambled though not raw yolk. She has consumed some of her water with rooster booster in it. Maybe I should stop that and just use the b complex alone? Someone had mentioned too many days of electrolytes could cause diarrhea and today is day 4. I just put her in the tractor and she pecked around a lot and seemed to pull quite a bit of grass??? Also ate some her crumble moistened with rooster booster water plus all the mealworms I could dig out of the bag of oat flock Party-plus some of the oats. She’s now just lying in the grass.
I wish I just knew what was wrong here. She is due for her second dose of valbazen Sunday and i really hope she turns around with that if not before. She just seems to stay the same every day 😕

Is she vaccinated for Marek? Where did you get her?
I do not know-I need to ask the lady I got her from. I purchased 5 from her all around 12-14 weeks of age and that was a month ago. This is the only one who is sick. I had another sick one (not from this group of 5) last week who turned the corner after deworming (she then pooped out roundworms). I treated all 8 of my chickens with valbazen and I also did five days of Corid because I was scared and not sure what all was going on. Marek keeps coming to my mind but 🤷‍♀️

The symptoms really sound like Marek, but it could be many other things. Please check this great article about Marek:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Unfortunately, buying pullets from others brings huge risk of Marek to your flock. I learned my lessons, but my flock is already carriers. I just vaccinate all my new chicks and live with it. No death in vaccinated chickens so far, except one killed by fox.

The symptoms really sound like Marek, but it could be many other things. Please check this great article about Marek:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Unfortunately, buying pullets from others brings huge risk of Marek to your flock. I learned my lessons, but my flock is already carriers. I just vaccinate all my new chicks and live with it. No death in vaccinated chickens so far, except one killed by fox.
She said yes but ???

And I just talked to her -she has no sick birds

Back
Top Bottom