dewormer question

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I dewormed our flock with Levasol in mid October of last year, but I think there's some resistance developing, because the vet found Capillary worms in a fecal today for one of my pullets. So, I'm going to deworm her separately with Safeguard, as she's in hospital pen, but I wondered:

1) Is it too soon to deworm the rest of the flock? I want to use Panacur or Tramisol in the drinking water. The rest of the flock( chickens and peas) have been acting fine, and my peacock recently tested negative for all worms, so not sure it's necessary. They were dewormed October 13 - 23. This pullet that has the worms is pretty young and she has been spending a lot of time free ranging outside, so she might not have gotten sufficient dewormer last October. We have had extremely wet, mild weather here for the majority of fall/ winter so far.

2) I have a 4 month old peachick. Is it ok for him to have the same amount of dewormer in the drinking water as all the adult birds? And which is safer for him: Tramisol or Panacur? He's free ranging with his mother. There's no way I can catch him to dose him individually.

3) Is Tramisol ok for the chickens to have too? and would it be the same dose for chickens and peafowl? Can Tramisol be found in feed stores?

4) Is Panacur suspension water soluble?

Thank you!

because the vet found Capillary worms in a fecal today
What does your vet recommend?
1) Is it too soon to deworm the rest of the flock?
No.
I want to use Panacur or Tramisol in the drinking water.
The liquid Panacur and Safeguard that are white are not water soluble. The dose of either to treat capillary worms is 0.23 ml per bound of body weight for five consecutive days.
I have a 4 month old peachick. Is it ok for him to have the same amount of dewormer in the drinking water as all the adult birds?
Yes, but the white Safeguard and Panacur are not water soluble.
Is Tramisol ok for the chickens to have too?
Tramisol is Levamisole and is okay for chickens, but it is not approved for them so an egg and meat withdrawal is recommended.
Can Tramisol be found in feed stores?
Probably not.
Is Panacur suspension water soluble?
Not the white stuff, but there is a very expensive water soluble Safeguard:
https://www.qcsupply.com/safeguard-aquasol-poultry.html

Ive seen Levasol and Tramisol referred to as separate medications in more than one site, so that is confusing... I've pretty much exclusively used Levasol, because it is water soluble and because yes, I've always heard that there's no alternative that's water soluble. And yes, I'm aware of the withdrawal for egg and meat. I mentioned already that I can't catch the peachick, and there are a few others I can't catch...the peahens, for example. So individual dosing is not an option.

I didn't ask the vet what to use for the flock, but I will. He recommended Safeguard for the sick pullet, which is what he always recommends and yes it works well for individual cases.

The Safeguard Aquasol you mentioned through the link is ridiculously expensive but on the other hand, it would probably last for a while, especially used as an alternate dewormer twice a year.

Thanks for the information

This time of year we mix Safeguard or Valbazen in a wet mash, works well for free range birds too.
IMG_9581.JPG

IMG_9558.JPG
IMG_9581.JPG

Last edited:
I remember that was said before by someone one here, I think Kathy mentioned it, I was just going to ask her. So how do you figure out the proportions? do you mix the dewormer in water and then add to the mash?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom