dewormer question

We make up two five gallon buckets at a time so we do not mix the dewormer in the water or the buckets until it has been portioned out in a smaller bucket. We feed the mash for a day or two to get the birds used to it if they had not had it lately. We do a big scoop spoonful of mash for two birds, put that in the smaller bucket. For a group of mature birds, count all the cocks and hens, each hen gets two and every cock gets three ml of either SG or Valbazen mixed into an amount of mash you guess they will eat in an hour or so. That also gives the birds down the pecking order a chance to eat.
IMG_9558.JPG
IMG_9549 (1).JPG

We have 42 birds. (Hopefully soon down to 40) :rolleyes: So, I'm thinking you'd figure like 3CC per gallon of the Safeguard suspension, mix as thoroughly in water as possible, then mix into the mash? ( we have four peafowl and 38 chickens..some of the chickens are pretty young...6 or 7 weeks). I just don't see how you'd figure the proportions otherwise for a mixed flock of birds that are different sizes and ages, and they're moving around to different feeding stations, etc).

Last edited:
That's the problem, they're a variety of weights. We have young birds 6 - 7 weeks old that weigh less than a pound, up to our mature peafowl weighing about 10 lbs each.

What about Safeguard Multi-species dewormer? It's a pelleted feed supposedly suitable for feeding to poultry, but I can't find anything about feeding it to chickens, although if you can use it on turkeys, I don't know why you couldn't use it for peafowl too.

Last edited:
It's not that difficult, just make a list of you birds and guess their weights, then add it up and give me he number and I will tell you how much you need.

Right now we're at 4 peafowl at 40 pounds. For those you will need 9 ml.

It's not that difficult, just make a list of you birds and guess their weights, then add it up and give me he number and I will tell you how much you need.

Right now we're at 4 peafowl at 40 pounds. For those you will need 9 ml.
The total weight (estimated) including the four peafowl, is 197 pounds, and to be safe I'm going to round it up to 200, since it is very difficult for them to overdose on Safeguard. Better, I think, to overestimate than underestimate. So, 200 lbs total.

Safeguard
200 / 2.2 x 50 /100 = 45 ml for five consecutive days.

Valbazen
200/2.2 x 20 /113.6= 16 ml. One day should get capillary worms, but I think I might treat three day in a row just to be sure.

So...45 ml for Safeguard, 16 ml for Valbazen, correct? Would you repeat in 10 days? fyi, my pullet is on her second day of Safeguard, and she is acting completely normal now, so it is very effective. The vet said 3 - 5 days for Safeguard, but whatever works best.

Back
Top Bottom