dewormer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by je, Sep 23, 2008.

1. je

je Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Bend, OR
    Some people who are selling eggs note that they have their birds on a regular deworming schedule. Is regular deworming necessary? I have never seen worms in my chickens poop and I would rather not feed them chemicals they do not need. My mom has had chickens for ten years and has never dewormed.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I totally agree Je. If it's not necessary then don't do it. If you have DE on hand and are putting that in the coop and a little over their food you may never see worms...it's a great preventative if you do it before they get worms. If they do get it than you will have to deworm them or they will get sick but I can't see putting them on a reg schedule for that at all.

3. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was under the impression that eggs from hens actively receiving deworming therapy shouldn't be eaten. Anyone?

I'll have to do some research on this.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Some wormers do have a withdrawal time when the eggs shouldn't be eaten.

I do not believe chickens should be treated regularly for worms unless they actually HAVE worms. Prevention is fine, but worming them constantly is not.

5. je

je Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Bend, OR
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I am glad that I can just continue along my merry way and not worry about routine deworming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by