Deworming chicken routine?

Pcuda

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Hello,

I have a healthy flock of 10 chickens that free range for half the day every day, we are located in central Florida where it’s hot and humid. Is a deworming routine necessary? I kept reading that maybe twice a year it should be done but I’m not sure if it’s necessary if I don’t see anything in their stool? They are all one year old, have been wormed once about 6 months ago due to suspicions stool but I’m not sure if I should do a maintenance routine twice a year. I don’t have access to a doctor for a decal exam at the moment either. Let me know your thoughts!

I'm north of you, up in the Panhandle, with a rather larger flock. If your biosecurity is good*, routine deworming should not be necessary. Continue to monitor the poops, and treat aggressively upon suspicion.

My understanding (possibly wrong) is that routine deworming treatment as a prophylactic is more common in very large flocks and flocks were biosecurity cannot practically be maintained - since individualized treatment is impractical, if not impossible. Its also popular where mixed anaimal flocks are capable of hosting the same worms, and functioning as reserviors of infection while other flock members are being treated (such as keeping goats and chickens together)

*understanding of course that free ranging unavoidably results in exposure to wild birds as a vector.

If I don't have a reason to treat, I don't treat. I butcher chickens several times a year. When I butcher I open some of the intestines looking for roundworms or tapeworms. I assume those are the worms you are talking about. I've never seen one so I've never treated for any. If I had a history of worms in my flock, my attitude would probably change.

Hello,

I have a healthy flock of 10 chickens that free range for half the day every day, we are located in central Florida where it’s hot and humid. Is a deworming routine necessary? I kept reading that maybe twice a year it should be done but I’m not sure if it’s necessary if I don’t see anything in their stool? They are all one year old, have been wormed once about 6 months ago due to suspicions stool but I’m not sure if I should do a maintenance routine twice a year. I don’t have access to a doctor for a decal exam at the moment either. Let me know your thoughts!
If their feet touch the ground, chickens will get worms. It's a fact. They peck the ground continuously and pick up worm eggs and swallow them. Check out the lifecycle of a roundworm.
How often you worm your birds depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist or wet soil will require more frequent wormings. Dry type soil less often, same with cool/cold soil.
Penned birds are more susceptible for worm infections.
You will rarely see worms in stool unless the chickens guts are overloaded with them and are excreted or a worm dies of old age and is excreted.
Worms weaken birds which opens the door for diseases. I worm my birds monthly.

If their feet touch the ground, chickens will get worms. It's a fact. They peck the ground continuously and pick up worm eggs and swallow them. Check out the lifecycle of a roundworm.
How often you worm your birds depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist or wet soil will require more frequent wormings. Dry type soil less often, same with cool/cold soil.
You will rarely see worms in stool unless the chickens guts are overloaded with them and are excreted or a worm dies of old age and is excreted.
So I decided to do it and used the safeguard paste on each, I have to do it again in 10 days but I found these in the stool. Is it a worm? What kind? Should I do another treatment or will this be sufficient? @U_Stormcrow @dawg53 @Wyorp Rock @SeaCity @theoldchick

Attachments

• 7FAF7F21-ED32-4E54-9261-8F1B3D0DD450.jpeg
    7FAF7F21-ED32-4E54-9261-8F1B3D0DD450.jpeg
    645.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2923F0CA-6061-4B95-BD88-4CD883865B66.jpeg
    2923F0CA-6061-4B95-BD88-4CD883865B66.jpeg
    644.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
What do you use as your monthly preventative deworming treatment?

Back
Top Bottom