Deworming chickens???

heyitskel

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
I recently got three leghorn chickens and I was told you have to deworm them. Is this true and if it is what do I have to do? Thanks!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

When ever you get new chickens from an unknown source, it never hurts to get them wormed. They could be loaded with worms. If you raised these yourself and keep your place fairly clean, you can get away with worming once or twice a year, depending on how much free ranging time they get. And you can always take a poop sample to any vet for a worm check, just to see which worms you are dealing with.

You can use Wazine in their water for 24 hours. This only kills the round worm. However round worms are the most common worm in poultry. You can use Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen. I use these last too the most, alternating from year to year with each of these so the worms don't become immune. Some feed stores carry the Safeguard but the Valbazen you will have to get on line. Both of these are a liquid that is given orally.

Here is an article from our learning center on worming your birds with dosages....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens

Good luck and if you have other questions, feel free to ask around the forums. Welcome to our flock!

[COLOR=333333]Hello there and welcome to BYC! [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR]

When ever you get new chickens from an unknown source, it never hurts to get them wormed. They could be loaded with worms. If you raised these yourself and keep your place fairly clean, you can get away with worming once or twice a year, depending on how much free ranging time they get. And you can always take a poop sample to any vet for a worm check, just to see which worms you are dealing with.

You can use Wazine in their water for 24 hours. This only kills the round worm. However round worms are the most common worm in poultry. You can use Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen. I use these last too the most, alternating from year to year with each of these so the worms don't become immune. Some feed stores carry the Safeguard but the Valbazen you will have to get on line. Both of these are a liquid that is given orally. 

Here is an article from our learning center on worming your birds with dosages....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens

Good luck and if you have other questions, feel free to ask around the forums. Welcome to our flock!
Ok thank you!

Back
Top Bottom