Deworming while molting?

Chickymom92

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
Is it safe to deworm chickens while they’re molting? I’ve read yes, they’re not laying anyway and it’s a good time and I’ve heard no because they’re already stressed and have weakened immune systems. We use the safeguard as a preventative. They do not currently have worms. They have gotten them in the past so we try to stay on top of it. What’s your opinion on this?

I would not worm without knowing what worms they have. Not all wormers work on all worms. Even if your vet doesn’t see chickens, they will often send a stool sample for a fecal float test for you. In the meantime they can finish molting.

I would not worm without knowing what worms they have. Not all wormers work on all worms. Even if your vet doesn’t see chickens, they will often send a stool sample for a fecal float test for you. In the meantime they can finish molting.
Ditto Dat!
Unless you live in a warm humid climate, then regular worming can be needed.

There's one wormer, can't remember which, that can cause deformations in new feathers.

I would not use any wormer if not sure there are parasites present. Using a wormer as a preventative can backfire because it causes resistance

Back
Top Bottom