Dexter Cattle!!!

salt and pepper

Songster
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
North Georgia Mountains
Well, I have been looking for a type of dairy animal, and have narrowed it down to a type of mini cow. I like goats, but I'm the only one in my family who does, and I want this to be a family project. I have been thinking of a dexter, since they are small, and give good quality milk. Is there any other breeds you would recommend? Also, what is the care required for a small cow? (acreage, supplies, vaccines, etc. Thanks for the help!

Anyone??
idunno.gif

I like miniature Jerseys, but I can be hard to find good animals and honest breeders. What qualities are you looking for in a cow?

Sounds like the dexters will do that for you, and the are easier to find than some others. I'm not sure if you want to do AI for breedings, but if you need a bull in the area, that might help guide your options based on what is available. Acreage needed can really vary with your location (not just state, but what your property is like), what kind of feeding you want to do (ie. rotational, grass-fed only...for a cow producing milk, I would look into grass feeding genetics if you wanted to try for that...pasture and grain, etc), and if you plan on shipping in hay for winter, etc.

Your county may also have laws determining acreage for cattle.

Hope that helps, and hope you find a great little cow for your needs. :)

Sounds like the dexters will do that for you, and the are easier to find than some others. I'm not sure if you want to do AI for breedings, but if you need a bull in the area, that might help guide your options based on what is available. Acreage needed can really vary with your location (not just state, but what your property is like), what kind of feeding you want to do (ie. rotational, grass-fed only...for a cow producing milk, I would look into grass feeding genetics if you wanted to try for that...pasture and grain, etc), and if you plan on shipping in hay for winter, etc.

Your county may also have laws determining acreage for cattle.

Hope that helps, and hope you find a great little cow for your needs.
smile.png

My area requires that you OWN 2 acres to have an agriculture animal. Not on how much the animal needs, right now, my land is mostly wooded, but I plan to clear around 2-3 acres for grazing. Our land used to be a farm, but was abandoned, and is now over grown. There is land that is already cleared, but it is being used for our other animals, and gardens. I would like to be able to sustain the animal on only grass and minerals during the summer, and substitute during the winter. The pasture will be cut into half acres, so I will be able to rotate the animal. Thanks for the help =)

Back
Top Bottom