Dexter or Zebu cattle question

The heifer I have been having for 4 months and the bull just about a month. They both weigh about 200 pounds now at most and I'm not expecting her to get more than 350 and him 500. My bulls sire weighs about 500 pounds. They just have a shelter right now but we are building a true barn for them closer to winter time. We are going get one more heifer next month and will probably stick with that amount until I see how the breeding and calving goes. I also have mini donkeys, mini pigs and dairy goats that we will be breeding so I don't want to overwhelm myself! Lol My 2 year old son comes with me in the pasture and my heifer is really gentle with him. (Although he does not like her rough tongue kisses!!) lol

Oh and she is 31" now at 11 months old and he is 30" at 6 months old. I don't expect either one to get taller than 37".

Wow, thanks for the reply!!! I think you sold me on Zebu, only thing I have to do now is find someone nearby that have some for sale. I live in SC, if you are anywhere near here do you know of anyone that have them for sale?
You really do have a lot going, pigs goats, donkeys, OH MY!! LOL!
They really do stay small then, that's what I want, my neighbors would probably frown upon large animals, but if they that small I can call them pets and not farm animals. I don't think they would complain tho, I give them eggs and veggies from my garden to butter them up and keep the peace.
Thanks again for all the info, I'm sure I'll find more questions to ask you in the coming days.
Oh, by the way, I notice you are fairly new to BYC, welcome aboard!!
highfive.gif

Thanks! I had to travel to get my zebu. I am in Louisiana and the two I have came from Mississippi. My other heifer is coming from Illinois! Thank god the lady's son lives in Louisiana and they are kind enough to bring her down with them the next time they visit him, which is for the Fourth of July!!

That's awesome, it really saved you a long trip! If you don't mind my asking, how much should I expect to pay for a good cow or bull, and should I keep a breeding pair together all the time or should I keep them separate?
I've also had a hard time finding any for sale, do you know of any good places for me to look to purchase some.
It looks like you got them all separately, did you have a hard time introducing them to each other? If you did buy them separately and the first one was on its own for a while did it have a hard time with being lonely? Almost forgot to ask, how old are yours?
Like I said in another post, sorry for all the questions.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
She is 11 months and he is 6 months. She was with my 2 mini donkeys for about 3 months before we got him. They actually took right to each other and they are sooo lovey with each other. It's adorable. I'm anxious to see how she will take the new heifer though because she is the jealous type! All 3 of mine are registered and I paid from $850-$1,000 for them. And I don't mind questions. I started my farm with all young animals. I want us all to grow and learn together.

I did it this weekend, I went and bought one, she'll be coming home in two weeks and she's pregnant.

She is also registered and has Swede's lineage, can't wait to get her here.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Where in LAdo you live I'm near Baton Rouge and looking at getting either dexters or zebus. Wanted to get people opinion on both. I have read that dexters or both good for meat and milk is that the same for the zebu also? If you are close I would like to come see your farm. Do you breed them for selling or just home consumption?

Back
Top Bottom