Diagnosing my Flock

10AcreChick

Songster
7 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Central Missouri
Hello. I need help diagnosing what's wrong with my flock. I have 21 chickens of laying age, from 6 and a half months to 2 and a half years old. Buffs, Australorps, Easter Eggers, Marans, Polish, Wyandottes. I treated for scaly leg mites in Mid August with Ivermectin. In the last two weeks, not a single egg, before than, since the treatment, like one green egg every few days. Only one (Australorp) is molting. I noticed tonight that all of them, even what were my best layers, have light pink combs, not red. I think there is something wrong with the whole flock, just don't know what.

Where do I start with diagnosing? All flock feed, like always. Fresh water. Run is not cramped, coop only overcrowded by maybe 3 chickens. Plenty of roost space. Usually free range half the day. 2 roosters to 27 hens (6 are still chicks).

It's the time of year. All hens over 12-18 months will quit laying in the fall to molt, recover and rest. Their combs will shrink and lighten in color to indicate they are no longer fertile and in production.

First year pullets will be slower to begin laying this time of year due to decreasing light. They will also lay at a decreased rate until early spring when production will ramp up again.

Hens don't lay consistently all year round. There are ups and downs to the season, as well as a stop.

It's the time of year. All hens over 12-18 months will quit laying in the fall to molt, recover and rest. Their combs will shrink and lighten in color to indicate they are no longer fertile and in production.

First year pullets will be slower to begin laying this time of year due to decreasing light. They will also lay at a decreased rate until early spring when production will ramp up again.

Hens don't lay consistently all year round. There are ups and downs to the season, as well as a stop.

You are probably right, I just can't believe with this range in ages that they would ALL stop at the same time. I have a couple of Wyanndottes whose combs are redder than others, and they should be laying by now.

Check your feed. Wet/dry mold?
Check your waterers.
Check your yard fertilizer?
These are the things they all have in common.

No mold. Waterers fine, though probably could use a cleaning. Nothing used on lawn since lagoon was sprayed in the spring. Lagoon needs to be fenced...but would them eating bugs near it result in this? And it hasn't been fenced in five years, btw.

Just a thought dry mold can look like things are dusty. We had lots of rain for a bit then back to dry weather. Found dry mold on the straw. And on wood it can look like a water stain.

Wonders if the birds that are still laying are laying out in range area?
Especially the younger birds that may be intimidated away from the nests in coop.

They can stop laying well before the feathers start to drop.

Wonders if the birds that are still laying are laying out in range area?
Especially the younger birds that may be intimidated away from the nests in coop.

They can stop laying well before the feathers start to drop.
No, I have searched the run. They don't go to free range until about 4pm, and recently not at all.

Back
Top Bottom