Diagnosis Found • Lab Testing Birds • New Developments

caf.gif

All I had to pay for was the shipping.
The State of CA offers this service free to protect our food sources.
CA offered the use of their FedEx account so the shipper can benefit from their discounted contracted rate with the carrier. I will get billed for the shipping but it will be less than I would pay at the shipping center.

The dr recommends I send the next bird that dies so he can test again.

Many states offer a vet to help, they have never talked about fees.

I haven't read every post but I have an idea. What about those worms that bore into rabbits. I've known cats to get them too. They eat their way through the animal leaving infection behind. That could make them shake their heads and not be able to eat. I've always seen these worms around the neck area. We call them Wolf worms, not sure of the spelling of that but thats how we say it. And i'm not sure if thats what they are really called. What we did to get rid of them was very painful but it worked for those not to far gone. We squeezed the worm towards the hole they made to get in under the skin. Pulled them out with tweezers. It stinks to high heavens, sour smell. Boiled out with peroxide and packed with neosporin.

I don't now if this is what it is, as I said, I didn't read all they way through. I just wantd to post this before I forgot my idea. Bad memory.

Does anybody know what the fibrous material is?
Is it something they've eaten that can't get through the crop, thereby making it impossible to get the proper nourishment through? Sort of plugging up the hole?

I have a hen that has had a pendulous crop for months now. She is skinny but as perky as ever. She does the up and down thing all the time, like she's trying to work something through. She did the head shake thing when she became too stuffed and had lay crumble backing up into her throat and bothering her. I have never gotten her to get over this, but no other hens have been affected.

Is there possibly something (plant/fabric/feed bags, anything) that your chickens cold be getting in to and not digesting well?

I had one that would vomit but she wasn't sick. She was trying to eat and drink very fast before the others came and made her move. She was lowest on the pecking order. She would have staraved If I hadn't made sure she got to eat and dring everyday before I left the coop and checked on her often. Now that she is laying eggs she eats all she wants and that is all day. She makes sure she eats her fill of the treats too. She is a real hog.

The doctor asked me about the fibrous material. I explained we have straw in the coop on a dirt floor. The coop has a solid roof so nothing can fall through.
The run is dirt with some wood chips that have since been raked up.
When young chicks they are in a cardboard box, but I have never seen any box eating. Think back to when they were young they would pull in the fibers from a mexican blanket.
I am hoping he can figure this out.

Quote:
I remember reading threehorses post saying not to use straw because if they eat it, it balls up in their crop and blocks food from getting through. I remember this so well because we have a load of straw bales out there in the chicken yard, and some bales have broken, so there's easily a half foot of straw on the ground.

The Mexican blanket and the straw and who knows what else..... makes me wonder. If you have another die, maybe you could cut open the crop yourself and see if you can i.d. what is in there.

I'm going to look for some of those old posts.

Back
Top Bottom