Diagnostic lab testing help

jamband

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
So i have now lost 5 birds over 3+weeks and I feel like i need to know what up even if only to be prepared better for new birds as I potentially may have to cull the ramaining 26 birds.

I obviously will contact the lab and ask but from an owners side is there anything specific I should do or ask for? I assume they will give handling directions etc to be sure the bird can be tested.

Also anyone know how much it might cost or how long it takes for results? I have been losing one about every 4-5 days now.

thanks

I don't know what state you are in. My state vet has a grant for initial necropsy to check from avian flu and others like that. The initial necropsy didn't cost me anything but the follow up histology is costing me $35 per bird. I know it can go much higher in some places...if you have another loss, do not freeze the bird, it breaks the tissues down. I was told to refrigerate it. good luck
hugs.gif

Quote:
I second what she said. I know in Pa it use to be free but now they are charging for blood work when I send it in. If you call them they should tell you the cost. If you can, send the bird overnight or can you take it to them?

So sorry for your birds.

i can take one the lab is 40 minutes away......

so how long after death to collect them is ok? i usually find them dead in morning or late afternoon but they potentially have been there several hours already??

thanks so much

I would collect when I find, put in bag, wrap in newspaper and ice packs for the ride...in a cooler if you have one....

Back
Top Bottom